JKOwners Forum banner

Which tire would you choose for my situations?

• Goodyear Duratracs

Votes: 33 34.7%
  • Nitto Trail Grapplers

Votes: 62 65.3%
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, yeah. I know, another “what tire should I choose” thread. I’m just looking for opinions on the two brands.

My decision has come down to the GY Duratracs and the Nitto Trail Grapplers.
JK background is this:
*Daily driver, driven ~70 miles round trip to work daily. I am taking each tire’s weight into account.
*I will be wheeling rocks/trails in Florida and along the east coast (mild rocks). I’m not a fan of mud, so it’s not a factor in my decision.
*I’ll be going with the 35” range on both

So with that said here are my perceived pros and cons.

GY DT’s
Pros: Seem to be the best AT tire for wheeling and street use.
Weight is ~15 pounds lighter per tire than the TG’s
Lots of siping for the wet roads here in FL, we get LOTS of rain.
Cons: I am worried about the strength of the tire/sidewalls when riding the trails and in the East Coast rocks. Biggest thing I'm worried about with these is STRENGTH!
I don’t know how well they would be aired down.

Nitto TG’s
Pros: Everyone seems to have great things to say about the TG’s.
Seems to be one of the best mid-range MT
I am assuming these would be a lot stronger than the DT’s
Cons: They weight ~15 pounds more than the DT’s.

Sooooo, IF you had MY driving situation and MY intended trail use, which one would you choose? Pick one!

Any thoughts?

Thanks’ for your opinions!

·
Registered
530 Posts
I am in the exact same situation trying to decide between the same tires. Looking forward to hearing what people have to say.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I bought the Nitto's in early Janurary. I had Mickey Thompson prior and the difference is Night/Day.

These things drive very nice on the road not just for a mud tire - any tire. I seriously can't tell it's a mud tire. They perform great offroad too.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm very happy with my Duratracs.

They're quiet, only a hint of a hum when coming to a stop sign with the windows open or the top off.

They handle quite nicely on the road. They handle dry roads and wet roads very well. Gravel's no problem. I live up North, so snow and ice handling is important to me, and the Duratracs excel in the winter weather. They're actually certified as a winter tire.

On the trail they grip well. They handle mud better than one might expect for an AT. The voids are a good size. They're decent on the rocks, though I admit that BFG's seem as good or better here.

They air down all right, but you're not going to take them down to single digit territory or anything. There are softer sidewall tires. But I've always been happy with them on the trail.

I love the fact that they are a good all around player. Trails, roads and snow all with one set of tires.

I've had them on for almost 20K now and they are in great shape. Be sure to rotate them.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I'm running duratracs now. I've run them thru rausch creek twice and a few times thru the pine barrens. I've aired them down to 15 with no probs. All that being said, I'd prefer the trail grapplers for their better off road capability.

·
Registered
66 Posts
My buddy has the tg's on his jeep, they are noisy on the highway compared to my bfg's. Other than that he loves them. Been down to hardrock with them as well as a few other places. When I get new tires I'll either get the km2s or the tg's. I vote get the nittos

·
Registered
282 Posts
Voted for the DT's. Haven't had any experience with them on the JK, but had them on the Chev. Silverado 2500. Great on wet roads, snow and ice, not too noisy on the highway. If they made them in a 37" tire, would have gotten a set for the JK. When I get a set of tires for the new truck, they will be DT's.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Great read guys, I was runnuing the Trail Grapplers on my F250 and was going to get them for my new JKU, but like the idea that the DT is 15lbs lighter (this means better highway mileage) and the Threadlightly discount is nice also on the Goodyears:thankyou:

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
my friend has the duratracs on his ranger and loves them!! never had nitto so i am a little partial to the other!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Had a set of dts, they worked well in the mud but slipped quit a bit on the rocks. On the road they were very quiet, quieter in fact then stock Sahara tires, I kept almost stock mileage even with the larger rubber, and had decent tred life. The cons however are going to keep me fro getting another set. The side walls are weak, I lost 2 tires due to side wall punctures that shouldn't have happened. In order to get even tred ware I had to run 40psi, this makes for a harsh ride.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
i dont have a comparison between the two, but i have overall been very very happy with my duratracs. they have taken on everything ive thrown at them (and i do my best to stay out of bad, nasty mud mind you).

they seem to be very very quiet right now, but i have heard they get louder as the tire wears.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was considering BFG ATs and then Nitto Terra Grapplers, but I haven't heard good things about the Nittos. Do the Duratracs stand up to BF G ATs or M/Ts? I definitely think the Duratracs look more aggressive that then BFD ATs.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The duratracs are ats in drag. They will probably run better off road then just about any other AT however on road you can probably make better choices

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.