JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a good but fairly inexpensive torque wrench. Im not looking for snap-on but want to avoid china cheapo. Let me know what is working good for you. Thanks, Mike

· Registered
13,219 Posts
If your working with suspension or something on a jeep, just about any of them will be fine. Rebuilding engines or something similar is a different story.

What is the budget?

Sent via paper airplane

· Registered
1,886 Posts
And if you're paying more for the quality wrench because you want accuracy, it must be calibrated periodically.
I've seen wrenches come back from cal that needed no adjustment, needed lots of adjustment, would cal only in a certain portion of the scale, or would not cal at all.
The brand and price of the torque wrench made no difference.

I've had brand new wrenches from all the top brands come back condemned as "non-linear".

· Registered
1,120 Posts
If your working with suspension or something on a jeep, just about any of them will be fine. Rebuilding engines or something similar is a different story.

What is the budget?

Sent via paper airplane
This. I don't do engines and as such, the Pittsburg $10 1/2" and 3/8" ones in my garage do just fine when it comes to close enough is good enough. Just about everything else out there is Chinese and about the same at 5-10x the price. The snap-on we use down at the shop is most definitely higher quality, but it's a $200+ tool. There is one for $99 on sleazebay right now though if you want to grab one cheap.

· Premium Member
5,696 Posts
Yup, Craftsman sucks. Do not buy them!!

Harbor Freight is fine for everything but engine and super tight specs as others have said. Use a little pair of channel locks to tighten the lock just to make sure it stays set. I have both the 1/2" and 3/8" and use them on the trail cause they are cheap and lifetime warranty no questions ask.

The other set I own and really do like are from Home Depot. The Husky brand. The 1/2" is a large wrench and you can torque everything down very easily. The 3/8" is perfect in size and works really well also. I feel these are more accurate than the HF brands and they also have a lifetime warranty. I use these in the shop often and also during mod parties.

I also own Snap-on 1/2" and 3/8" for my more accurate measures or when I just feel like making sure everything is good to go and also as a gauge for how the other wrenches are doing in general. Down side to these is that they cost a fortune.

· Registered
2,302 Posts
Try buying a 3/4" drive torque wrench... talking $600+

· Registered
292 Posts
Here's my 3/8 snapon and 3/4 sk im verry happy with them i had them for a few years and never an issue.

· Registered
2,302 Posts
Have a 1/4" drive beam type.... tiny little sucker but invaluable for setting pinion preload

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.