JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since installing the RE 4,5" longarmsystem, the rear axle has been a bit misaligned, approx. 3/4" to the left (rear view). As a budget solution, I did the following: removed the track bar from the relocation bracket, aligned the axle perfectly, marked a new hole in the relocation bracket and drilled it, a bit to the right upward. After installing everything back together and lowering the Jeep to the ground, it is a perfect alignment, with exactly the same space on the right and left (measured from the frame to the tire). Good or bad idea?

(Sorry for the blurry photo, but it gives you a hint, at least...:laughing:)

·
Registered
962 Posts
Looks OK, but....
Unless you did a VERY good job of deburring the holes, both sides, you are setting yourself up for some crack propagation between your new holes and the stock holes. Drill bits rarely drill a perfectly round hole. Wherever the hole deviates from being round to being egg shaped is where a crack will eventually form, especially if the hole hasn't been deburred properly.
Keep tabs on that area.

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
also moving the hole upwards has increased your trackbar angle so that will amplify the bump steer.
More angle=more lateral movement of the rear axle during suspension cycling.
An adj trackbar would be a lot better idea

·
Registered
97 Posts
Since installing the RE 4,5" longarmsystem, the rear axle has been a bit misaligned, approx. 3/4" to the left (rear view). As a budget solution, I did the following: removed the track bar from the relocation bracket, aligned the axle perfectly, marked a new hole in the relocation bracket and drilled it, a bit to the right upward. After installing everything back together and lowering the Jeep to the ground, it is a perfect alignment, with exactly the same space on the right and left (measured from the frame to the tire). Good or bad idea?

(Sorry for the blurry photo, but it gives you a hint, at least...:laughing:)

That should work fine, however the best fix, better than another bracket, is an adjustable track bar.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've now been in contact with RE. They claim that there SHOULD be an misalignment of up to 3/4"on the rear axle, due to compression......and that there's always an misalignment on stock vehicles as well, but it shows more with their kit.

Well, I'm still quite confident in them, but the solution I did has worked out extremely well for me. No vibrations whatsoever from the rear, and no rubbing. And I have 1 1/2" spacers and 5 backsapcing on the wheels, so rubbing is no issue for me. (Which, by the way, it was before adding the spacers and adjusting the alignment.)

RE says, even if they come up with an adjustable rear track bar, they'd still instruct to have it misaligned.

Guess the future will tell...

·
Registered
962 Posts
I've now been in contact with RE. They claim that there SHOULD be an misalignment of up to 3/4"on the rear axle, due to compression......and that there's always an misalignment on stock vehicles as well, but it shows more with their kit.

Well, I'm still quite confident in them, but the solution I did has worked out extremely well for me. No vibrations whatsoever from the rear, and no rubbing. And I have 1 1/2" spacers and 5 backsapcing on the wheels, so rubbing is no issue for me. (Which, by the way, it was before adding the spacers and adjusting the alignment.)

RE says, even if they come up with an adjustable rear track bar, they'd still instruct to have it misaligned.

Guess the future will tell...
Hmm...tha't interesting what RE told you. I'm running FT adj front and rear and have had no problems..they're Moab tested:D

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm x 2...:D

Well, John, do you have the rear aligned or misaligned with your adjustable track bars? (My hope - to feel better - is that you have them aligned...;))

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Hmm...tha't interesting what RE told you. I'm running FT adj front and rear and have had no problems..they're Moab tested:D
X2
JohnL as always, you are the man!

"RE says, even if they come up with an adjustable rear track bar, they'd still instruct to have it misaligned.":confused:

I drove for a couple of weeks with mine (OME 2") 3/4" misaligned and when I set it all up correctly, the performance was night and day (for the better.)
With as many problems as have been coming up with those brackets, you're definitely carrying around a much larger set of huevos around than I do drilling holes in it and such.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Hmm x 2...:D

Well, John, do you have the rear aligned or misaligned with your adjustable track bars? (My hope - to feel better - is that you have them aligned...;))
We found the centerline of the Jeep and adjusted the trackbars to center the axles. After all that, we confirmed center from a multitude of measurements, hubs to frame, rim to frame, etc. I'm within 1/16" of center both front and rear.

I did drive it for about a week with the stock bars. The front was 3/4" to the left, the rear was 3/4" to the right. Talk about f'ed up handling...

After the adjustables were in, all was well.

If being mis-aligned is good, why doesn't Jeep roll them off the assy line that way? Or maybe they are, can anyone who hasn't lifted their Jeep confirm or deny rear mis-alignment? I never bothered to look at mine before the lift....

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
I have the RE 4 1/2 " kit and have run into the exact same issues. The RE uses a front adj tb but retains the rear stock tb from a dropped bracket. Because of different issues ( misalignmentof axles- 3/4" out drive side, and slight contact of rear diff cover w/ trackbar), I decided to go w/ a PolyPerformance rear adj trackbar in the RE dropped location. The rear coil springs "pushing out" to the driver side was another issue. With the Poly adj tb, I will be able to retain the front & rear RE dropped brackets and push the front & rear axles back in... to where they should be. The Poly tb should fit well at ( I think) 1 1/2" where it mounts to the dropped bracket. I never understood why RE doesnt incl an adj rear trackbar like they have up front...but whatever. I think that Teraflex also makes an adj rear tb as well.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Buy an adjustable track bar bracket as well the OE rear track bar bracket is weak. I ripped mine right off going over a woop. I was not even going fast. Both Poly and Teraflex make one as well as the adjustable track bar for alignment. Good luck!!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts