JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have tons on order and the tires I want are seemingly hard to source at the moment. Hopefully that will change after the first of the year. The KM3 in a 39 is apparently not in production now or for the next 30 days. I called BFG this morning. My second choice tire is a Nitto Trail Grappler 40 and apparently those are hard to source at the moment as well in a 40.

I am on Nitto 37s now and they don't suck. I did not go to tons to get 40s per se. I'm only thinking 40's now because I'm gettting tons and now want something more than the Nitto 37s for my shiny new tons but not necessarily a 40. Not much in between a 37 and a 40.

Going to pass on the Patagonias. Looking for a US made tire. Not going MTR 38's.

What else is there in a 17"?

Between the axle width change and the wheel offset change, I am gaining 4.5" in width overall between the outer bead of the rims - or sticking out 2.25" further per side. (4.0"BS Trail Readys on stock axles vs 4.5" BS Trail Readys on 71" axles)

Would it be a bad idea to run another set of new 37s?

·
Premium Member
1,149 Posts
Take this for what it is: the opinion of someone rolling on 33s, lol.

Nothing wrong with another set of 37s. The tons aren't a license to be stupid (every guy is born with that), but they would allow a bit more freedom with the go pedal in a tricky situation. Plus, 40s will make some of the boarderline obstacles into easy mode, and will make some of the really hairy stuff tantalizing, enticing you to try lines more likely to end in a roll or flop. Plus, the ease of just throwing on another set of 37s vs. getting out the sawzall and new bumpstops is a nice bonus.

But I could be totally wrong. Then again, you could sell the new-ish 37s when you inevitably decide you have to have 40s.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Take this for what it is: the opinion of someone rolling on 33s, lol.

Nothing wrong with another set of 37s. The tons aren't a license to be stupid (every guy is born with that), but they would allow a bit more freedom with the go pedal in a tricky situation. Plus, 40s will make some of the boarderline obstacles into easy mode, and will make some of the really hairy stuff tantalizing, enticing you to try lines more likely to end in a roll or flop. Plus, the ease of just throwing on another set of 37s vs. getting out the sawzall and new bumpstops is a nice bonus.

But I could be totally wrong. Then again, you could sell the new-ish 37s when you inevitably decide you have to have 40s.
Yeah, 37's are great. 40's will make things easier for sure. I get all that. Seems like once you have tons, it would be good to increment up the tires. The KM3 39s are probably decent and run small.

Postponing bump stop changes and cutting for a future project is also appealing. Less messing around with the jeep and getting it back on the road sooner.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Impulse off-road in Salt Lake City had some BFGs 39 inch. 801-599-1609.
Thanks, appreciate that. BFG offer several models of tire in a 39, even a KM2. The KM3 was released less than a year ago and it is not clear that it has been released in a 39 yet.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Thanks, appreciate that. BFG offer several models of tire in a 39, even a KM2. The KM3 was released less than a year ago and it is not clear that it has been released in a 39 yet.
If you have Facebook look for Impulse off-road, they say KM3. Looks like they had pallets of them, and also said it would be 6 months before the see any more.

·
Super Moderator
6,174 Posts
Thanks. One of those stacks might be mine soon.

John from CRAWL mag just recently opted for the KM3 39"s on his venerable LJ after testing a set of 37s all summer. He liked them well enough to go with the tire in the 39" and
he has a much more demanding and varied terrain usage than most of us
(he talks about this in the Oct/Nov issue or one prior to that ...)... just adding to the direction...

:jeep2:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Are 40" Cooper STT Pros not an option? They are pretty easy to get your hands on also.

Do any of you who run "hard to get" tires ever worry about the tires not being available if or when you need one? I ran 35" BFG blue label Krawlers on my old TJ and loved them, but getting a new one after I cut a tire was a giant cluster fuck. Nobody had any in stock and BFG wasnt expected to make more for 6 months....... Fuck that! Bye bye BFGs

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
The coopers are a decent tire but have a rather hard rubber compound when compared the the KM3 or Krawler. They are also a mud tire with the KM3 being more of an AT tire for more comfort on the road and more contact points for grip in climbing rocks. Not a lot of mud on the trails out here.

I am sure you will get a lot more miles out of the Coopers vs the BFG's.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Yeah, I see the Krawler as a more specialized tire. You're not going to find a lot of people DD those so not as much demand.

With the success of the KO2s, I only see availability for the KM3s being on the plus side. The 39s are a special case since they were just recently released and everybody is trying to get stock on them at the same time. Supply will eventually meet demand once production ramps up.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts