JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Glock Store .com has been really great to order from. Good customer service and fast delivery.

Picked up and installed the following:

Tungsten guide-rod/ spring
recoil buffer pad
back-strap channel insert

*The spring fits 17's through 37's, and is 400% heavier than the plastic rod. Won't break or bend. Supposed to reduce recoil and improve accuracy......we'll see. I just didn't like the plastic guide-rod in general, so I wanted to replace it from day one. The buffer pad is to lessen the slide impact on the frame along with enhanced muzzle control. The back-strap channel insert is intended to keep dirt, dust, debris from entering the trigger housing.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Nice, I bought a tungsten guide rod for my 19 last week. It definatly reduced recoil and the slide seemed to cycle smoother. I don't know about the buffer pad. I've been told not to use them as they could leed to jamming problems. I would also reccomend you get a 3.5 lb trigger. Cheap and easy to install.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Thanks for the post.

I have a Gen 2 G19. I might order a kit even though I haven't had an issue since I bought the gun in '93. It probably has 10k rounds through it.

·
Premium Member
15,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice, I bought a tungsten guide rod for my 19 last week. It definatly reduced recoil and the slide seemed to cycle smoother. I don't know about the buffer pad. I've been told not to use them as they could leed to jamming problems. I would also reccomend you get a 3.5 lb trigger. Cheap and easy to install.
Good to know. I was wondering if the recoil buffer pad might cause issues when I was installing it. Since it just drops into place, I was contemplating that it could come loose. I'll keep it for now, but will keep an eye out for any problems.

I really think I will also get the 3.5 lb trigger. I can imagine the improvement is pretty noticeable. I LOVE my Glock, but these refinements are likely going to make it even more fun to shoot.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
You should check out GSSF. Both places where I shoot in their matches are Glock armories. Those guys showed me things about my Glock I never knew.

·
Premium Member
15,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the post.

I have a Gen 2 G19. I might order a kit even though I haven't had an issue since I bought the gun in '93. It probably has 10k rounds through it.
My Glock and my Redhawk Super Alaskan are my 2 favorite guns to shoot. I really hope to improve my accuracy with my Glock. Only about 500 rnds through my G22 right now, but no issues so far.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I am a Glock armorer so if you ever need anything let me know

·
Premium Member
15,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You should check out GSSF. Both places where I shoot in their matches are Glock armories. Those guys showed me things about my Glock I never knew.
Good to know. Every time I shoot my G22, the more I like about it. Only PITA so far has been loading two 15 rnd mags back to back- lol. Gun came w/ a speed loader(?)/ loader assist, but I don't like using it.

I am a Glock armorer so if you ever need anything let me know
I will find you before I buy the 3.5 lb trigger or if I have a question. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
15,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good additions to your Glock. Now we need a range report
Not doing too bad w/ it so far. I think that the bad thing about having a couple different caliber/ style guns (380, 40, 357, 45, 44.....and NOW a S&W 460) is that it gets hard to become as quickly proficient with all of them.

I'm excited to get at least 50-100 rounds thru my Glock tomorrow. I might need to shoot my 460 first though..... to get the anticipatory jitters out of the way- lol.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Every aftermarket guide rod w/ heavier spring that I have bought always caused stove pipes - springs were too stiff to let the slide all the way back. That was many years ago, though. Maybe that's no longer the case with today's stuff, but I've got used to the factory set up.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I shoot GSSF when I can and am a Glock Armorer.

Recoil buffers are more trouble than they are worth in Glocks. The recoil in your G22 is not enough to bother the gun or the shooter.

Glocks are very temperamental when spring rates are changed; some run great and some run horrible.

I have the factory 3.5# triggers in my G34, G35, and 17L. They are great for target games, but I wouldn't want it on a CCW or HD gun.

NEVER plug the grip hole on a Glock used for defense. That hole is part of the design to aid in clearing malfunctions. The thumb is stuck in that hole and used to rip a stuck magazine out.

Most after-market gizmos for Glocks do nothing. If you really want to wring the accuracy out of it, get new sights. I love my Heine Straight 8s.

·
Premium Member
15,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I shoot GSSF when I can and am a Glock Armorer.

Recoil buffers are more trouble than they are worth in Glocks. The recoil in your G22 is not enough to bother the gun or the shooter.

Glocks are very temperamental when spring rates are changed; some run great and some run horrible.

I have the factory 3.5# triggers in my G34, G35, and 17L. They are great for target games, but I wouldn't want it on a CCW or HD gun.

NEVER plug the grip hole on a Glock used for defense. That hole is part of the design to aid in clearing malfunctions. The thumb is stuck in that hole and used to rip a stuck magazine out.

Most after-market gizmos for Glocks do nothing. If you really want to wring the accuracy out of it, get new sights. I love my Heine Straight 8s.
I really appreciate the input from you on this.

The buffer-pad I installed to minimize the impact of the slide racking on the frame. Minimizing recoil wasn't a factor. I will keep an eye out for issues though.

Hope that the new guide-rod assembly will work well with my gun. Just hated that plastic one. Still have the original if need be.

Good to know regarding clearing a stuck-mag. Man.....I'm in trouble if I have to reload after 15 shots.

*DD- I like the Heinie sights. Are you using the standard slant-pro night sights or the QWIK night sights?

·
Premium Member
2,507 Posts
I've always been on the fence about owning a Glock. I have Kahr P9 that i really like, but i've been considering picking up a Glock this year. I'm just not sure about the trigger. I think i need to get some range time in on one again.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Good to know regarding clearing a stuck-mag. Man.....I'm in trouble if I have to reload after 15 shots.

*DD- I like the Heinie sights. Are you using the standard slant-pro night sights or the QWIK night sights?
Regarding the grip hole; it is not for mag changes, it is for clearing type 3 malfunctions (bad jams, double feeds) and the only way to get the gun back in action is to vigorously rip the magazine out (the mag release will not drop it). This could happen on the first round you fire, so plugging that hole is a bad idea on something you may need to defend yourself. Every instructor I know of cautions against using the plugs. The grip hole was also designed to be open to the internals for a reason - to drain water, mud, and debris out of the gun. The Glock was designed to work in very nasty conditions, so dirt or lint getting in the plug hole means nothing. Its the AK47 of pistols, designed like a brick with poor tolerances and a hole to shit out of to protect your ass in the worse possible conditions.

On the sights, I use the Slant pro tritium sights. Love the speed and accuracy of them.

·
Premium Member
15,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Regarding the grip hole; it is not for mag changes, it is for clearing type 3 malfunctions (bad jams, double feeds) and the only way to get the gun back in action is to vigorously rip the magazine out (the mag release will not drop it). This could happen on the first round you fire, so plugging that hole is a bad idea on something you may need to defend yourself. Every instructor I know of cautions against using the plugs. The grip hole was also designed to be open to the internals for a reason - to drain water, mud, and debris out of the gun. The Glock was designed to work in very nasty conditions, so dirt or lint getting in the plug hole means nothing. Its the AK47 of pistols, designed like a brick with poor tolerances and a hole to shit out of to protect your ass in the worse possible conditions.

On the sights, I use the Slant pro tritium sights. Love the speed and accuracy of them.
I don't care for the factory sights too much. Will try those Slants. :beer:

Appreciate the info on why it would be better to not plug that grip.

Shot 100 rnds through it today. Gun felt a little more mild-mannered but my accuracy was all over the place. Might have been me. Not sure. No issues so far with the buffer pad.......wondering if it could have affected groupings- dunno. Might pull the pad, but will leave the guide-rod alone for now.

·
Official Monkey Business
12,215 Posts
Just saw this post. Thanks for the tip Stu, I ordered the guide rod for my G-22.

·
Premium Member
15,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just saw this post. Thanks for the tip Stu, I ordered the guide rod for my G-22.
So far, it seems much improved. The gun feels more balanced and it seems to have reduced the muzzle flip somewhat. I think you'll be pleased.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I've always been on the fence about owning a Glock. I have Kahr P9 that i really like, but I've been considering picking up a Glock this year. I'm just not sure about the trigger. I think i need to get some range time in on one again.
IMO the Glock trigger is MUCH better than the loooong double action pull of the P9, which tends to pull follow-up shots off target when doing rapid sets. I also hate the P9 magazines, especially since rounds fall out of the spare mags. Don't get me wrong, I like my P9, but like Glocks much better. I only use my P9 for pocket carry with a Nemesis when I don't feel like using a holster.

·
Premium Member
2,507 Posts
IMO the Glock trigger is MUCH better than the loooong double action pull of the P9, which tends to pull follow-up shots off target when doing rapid sets. I also hate the P9 magazines, especially since rounds fall out of the spare mags. Don't get me wrong, I like my P9, but like Glocks much better. I only use my P9 for pocket carry with a Nemesis when I don't feel like using a holster.
My P9 has a really short trigger pull compared to the Glock 40cal i shot last. But it is my understanding that some P9's got an upgraded trigger in the 1st gen. I have noticed that on ocassion the top round in the mag seems to work forward, but i thought i was imagining it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts