JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to unbolt the factory muffler from the over the axle pipe and then weld in a glasspack in the straight section in front of the axle. My only concern is what will it sound like? I don't want it super loud but a little tone would be ok. Mainly I want that ugly muffler gone from the rear of the Jeep.

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
One I have heard sounded terrible and I bet resonated pretty bad on the highway with it being dumped under the Jeep like that.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I might try it tomorrow to see, it would be easy to put back stock I guess. If resonance is an issue I can just run it out out to the bumper.

·
RIP Brad
3,762 Posts
Its a six banger... it will never sound right.
That being said ... I took the chance on a glass pack and since, several guys I wheel with have done the same.

I put it in the spot you're looking at (clamped) and it stays out of harms way.

No doubt .. you can hear it

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Yah, I did it, ran it for a year with a glasspack and tailpipe right out the back. Sounded ok but not enough back pressure so I noticed a decrease in power. I have since put the stock muffler back on.
I've heard a lot of 6 cyl exhaust systems and not impressed. I rather have it quiet.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I installed a moroso flow through muffler. I wasnt a big fan of it at first but I either got use to it or it has broken in some. Either way I think it sounds ok now and I have actually got some complements on the trail that it sounds good. Its not a bad sound when your crawling.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a 28" glass pack I'll be installing underneath the jeep and removing the factory muffler, I'll update when it's on

1 - 8 of 8 Posts