JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

This is addressed to folks who wheeled at Gilmer. I'm trying to get a feel for this place. Curious to see if a stock JKU on 33s can survive a weekend trip. I wheeled at Bridgeport a few times without any problems on medium trails, but worried about all of the ravines @ Gilmer. Can you advice which trails to avoid?
I do not plan to run anything higher than 3s but have no idea how difficult 3s are. Perhaps I should stick to 2s.

sent from Nexus

·
Registered
24 Posts
you can do enough to keep you busy out there. Plenty of trails you can run on 33's and have fun with, just go with someone who knows the trails well. Most have bypasses if you dont feel you can make it or dont want to worry to much.

·
Registered
553 Posts
You can definetly have a good time, just talk to the people at the front, they can point you in the right direction

·
Registered
13,214 Posts
Some obstacles have bypasses, some do not. The first thing to understand is "level 1" "level 2" doesn't mean a whole lot. There is no "standard" to rating trails. I have wheeled 2's that should have been 3's, 5's that should have been 3's...it depends on way too many things.

33s on a stock non-Rubicon [assuming] JKU is pretty dramatically limited by it's approach and break over angles. If anyone has a winch you can probably get through the 3s if you get hung up. Do not get caught up in "trying to make it" to show off, 9 times out of 10 people break stuff that way. Be sure to have the proper recovery points and straps if need be.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Trust me, I'm not the guy that shows off. Some of my friends will run 3s and I just wanted to see if I even have a chance at making them.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Excellent park on 33's.... you can run 90% of the trails without issue. the ones I know would be an issue without bypasses are:
Dewooded, Weinie World Extension, Sidewinder, Old Town Trio, and possibly Saturday Night Live after a rain. There are at least 10 other trails rated 3-4 that can be negotiated with bypasses and over 20 trails rated 2-3 that you will get bored with.

·
Registered
9,127 Posts
Excellent park on 33's.... you can run 90% of the trails without issue. the ones I know would be an issue without bypasses are:
Dewooded, Weinie World Extension, Sidewinder, Old Town Trio, and possibly Saturday Night Live after a rain. There are at least 10 other trails rated 3-4 that can be negotiated with bypasses and over 20 trails rated 2-3 that you will get bored with.
Wallace and Co nailed it.

Go, have fun and take pics.

I love that place.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I've been there a couple of times in my stock Sahara unlimited and run some 3s. Like everyone's says, don't let adrenaline make your decisions and you will do fine. Oh yeah and expect some scratches.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Went 2 weeks ago, according to our run coordinator we did the 2 most challenging trails on Friday. My JK rubicon on 35's did excellent and my brother did the same in a TJ with 33s and front and rear lockers.
The next day we did a milder group of trails, stock factory JKs 2 dr & 4 dr also a stock Nissan 4x4 Frontier.
I'd say you are good, you should try to get some rock rails ASAP

1 - 12 of 12 Posts