JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my wife bought into it and just need to decide JK (my choice) vs JKU (wife's choice) and manual (my choice) vs auto (wife's choice). My plan is to buy a bone stock JK and build it how I want it built. The first steps will be gearing, lift, wheels and tires, bumpers and winch. Custom stereo will likely be quickly done too. Might wait on axel shafts and u-joints.

Does anyone have any suggestions for things that are a MUST order when placing a new order? Tops? Tow package? Anything? I just don't want to miss out on anything that can't be added later for the same or better price.:)

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Factory half doors and a hard top. They're both expensive as fuck to get afterwards and you can get a bestop replacement top for not too much cash out of pocket for the fastback look.
One of the biggest reasons I am looking at 2 doors is that I think JKUs look odd with hard tops. It is just an opinion, but I like the fastback look better. I figured I'd have to buy fastback hardtop anyhow. I'm getting tube doors, so plan to skip half doors. Again...preference. Maybe I can sell hardtop later yo buy fastback?

Thanks to all so far! I have a former Jeep service guy consulting me, which should save me a lot of swapping out later. Gearing to the goal tire size was his first piece of advice.

· Registered
1,368 Posts
I don't think you can order a hard top and half doors together, I could be wrong though. You can sell the hardtop for more than the $800 or so it costs, but then you won't have a top. I wouldn't do the dual top because you can find a soft top or get a trektop for way less than what they charge for a soft top/hardtop combo. Depending on your location and needs for the Jeep you may not like the hardtop.

What is your primary use of the vehicle? I own a 2 door JK as my daily driver and its fine when it's just me. Any more than one passenger though and its kind of a pain. I take the rear seat out most of the time just so I don't have to deal with people getting in and out of the back of the Jeep.

Look at the connectivity group option and see if that's something you'll use..not sure how much of a stereo upgrade you are doing but I like the hidden USB ports in the console, I wish I had them.

· Registered
1,368 Posts
Oh one more thing. If you order the half doors you can almost certainly trade them out for full doors + cash. People are ALWAYS looking for half doors. It's a no cost option and to buy them after the fact is around 2 grand for a 4 door.

If you order the hardtop from the factory, you also get all the wiring for the rear wiper and defroster which you would have to add in later otherwise.

· Registered
2,263 Posts
Oh one more thing. If you order the half doors you can almost certainly trade them out for full doors + cash. People are ALWAYS looking for half doors. It's a no cost option and to buy them after the fact is around 2 grand for a 4 door.

If you order the hardtop from the factory, you also get all the wiring for the rear wiper and defroster which you would have to add in later otherwise.
Keep in mind you'll have miss matched interior pieces if you get half doors.
With how much they charge for those doors, don't even have the matching interiors, and you need to have them painted your better off just buying aftermarket half doors.

· Registered
2,803 Posts
JKU with the auto....youll like it more. The JKU rides so much better than the JK.
^^^^^this hell no:eek: ...the ride really ? its a Jeep...the ride sux that's all there is to it:thefinger: go 2door

And for sure get half doors best advice in this thread

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What size tire are you going too? I think the 5 speed auto is the way to go it has a electronic shift option. Go hard top you can sell for 1500-1800.

Jason
I am planning on 35" tires.

Don't waste money on the tow package, $285 through Chrystler I believe, $55 through Quadratec.
Guy at Jeep store told me that the tow package gives me a transmission cooler, but further research doesn't support that claim.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.