JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im about to order my currie rock jock 60s on my 17 jku i just don't no if i should run an eaton e locker front with an arb rear? or a arb front & rear? or lastly a detriot front with an arb rear? axle will have locking hubs so i will be able to have them unlocked when i city drive my jeep if i go with detriots. pleaseeee help this is the only thing from holding me back to order them

·
Registered
916 Posts
If you already have OBA installed, then just go ARB front/rear. Others will chime in and say the air lines freeze up blah blah blah. So if that's a concern, then go e-lockers front/rear.

There are many who will also run a Detroit Locker front, with selectable in the rear. I believe John Currie would run them that way.

It really comes down to personal preference and what you're doing with your rig.

I've got ARB 35 spline up front and a Detroit Truetrac for the rear. Dynatrack axles f/r. I opted for the rear TT because my Jeep is a daily driver and I wanted what I thought would be the best performer for rain, snow, icy/slick, & sandy conditions. Combo has worked great for me.

Good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i live in Los Angeles we barely get any rain here so i wont have to worry about the cold lol, i dont have a oba installed, im going to think about it till tmrw and yes youre correct i did just watch a video of John Currie where they run a detriot front and arb rear on all their rigs, so im kinda leaning towards that direction.

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
Its generally personal preference and more the cost when people choose lockers. I just hope you are looking at full float axles for the JKU and not semi float. Don't make that expensive mistake in order to save a bit of money.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its generally personal preference and more the cost when people choose lockers. I just hope you are looking at full float axles for the JKU and not semi float. Don't make that expensive mistake in order to save a bit of money.

https://www.4wheelparts.com/Drivetrain-Differential/Currie-RockJock-60-Front-Axle-Housing-Detroit-Locker-5-38-CE-KF6301D53.aspx?t_c=12&t_s=237&t_pt=101298&t_pn=CURCE-KF6301D53

this is the one i ordered for the front its a full float correct? the rear is the rj 60 vxr so i know that one is a full float for sure

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i ordered them with 5.38 gears im running 37s for now until tires wear out and will run 40s, its a 17 jku auto how do you think the 5.38s will be with the 37s? my jeep is a dd

·
Registered
265 Posts
i ordered them with 5.38 gears im running 37s for now until tires wear out and will run 40s, its a 17 jku auto how do you think the 5.38s will be with the 37s? my jeep is a dd
5:38s will be a little to much for 37s.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
What is the difference between semi- and full-float?

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
a semi float like the factory uses has the wheel mounting flange and the axle shaft in one piece which places the weight of the whole vehicle on the axle shaft since the bearings ride on the shaft. On a full float the wheel mounts to the housing which takes the load with much larger bearings. If you break an axle on a full float you can pull it out and still run. Since the semi float shaft takes the weight of the vehicle the flanges are prone to bending. The heavier the jeep and the bigger the tires the more likely you are to bend a flange or brake a shaft.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts