JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one have a schematic for mounting HID lights so they get their power from the marker lights? I bought my kit from Tom at HID Projectors. I am thinking of doing it this way as opposed to getting power from the stock head light harness. I was told this will allow me to avoid the "flicker" because the marker lights power is not pulsed like the head lights power. I need it pretty dumbed down as I am not electrically savvy. Also, if done this way will the headlights still function using the stock switch? Thanks for the help all!

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
Triggering a relay is likely what they call for. I would not recommend powering the HIDs from the marker light circuit, using the marker light to trigger a relay for the HIDs will resolve the common "flicker" problem.

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
Any idea on how to do that?
how to wire a relay? It's pretty basic and a very common thing to do when adding aftermarket electrical accessories. There is a ton of information on the subject, but basically you need a common ~30a 4-pin style relay (radio shack, auto parts store). One wire will have a fuse on it and go to the positive battery post (#30), one will go to a body ground (#86), one will go to your accessory; the HID ballast power wires (#87) and finally one will go to whichever marker light wire is hot when the lights are on (#85).

You will lose the ability to just turn on your parking/running lights however.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
and finally one will go to whichever marker light wire is hot when the lights are on (#85).

You will lose the ability to just turn on your parking/running lights however.
I triggered my HID relay with a wire off the marker light. But I put a toggle switch in that wire so that I can still run parking/marker lights by simply flipping the toggle off. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts