JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally bit the bullet and ordered my tire carrier.
Got an awesome deal thanks to Jason at Rebel.
I'll try and post up some pics once I get it in. :bounce::bounce:

· Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those were all the major factors in the decision.

I was a little worried about the strength of the tub in the even that I hang the carrier on something but I guess I will just try and be careful and save up for corners.

Glad to hears that you have had good luck with yours.

· Registered
30 Posts
I am also intrested in this rear tire carrier. I was looking at the intall photos and it looks like the tire carrier could come in contact with the tail lights when opened. I there a problem there or was it just the angle of the photos?

· Registered
5 Posts
I just finished my install 2 days ago. Couple of issues - When you mount the pin side you have to drill holes through the tub. Driver side taillight is off so you can reach into the tub and put the nuts on the screws. The bottom hole was below where you can reach inside the taillight and you can't get to it from below. So before you drill this you may want to check were yours is and if it's below you can use a self tapping screw or nothing at all. Second issue was the pin side of the carrier once mounted didn't allow me to put my taillight back on. I had to shave the side of the taillight down by a 1/4" or so just to get it back on. Looking back, I think I could have slid the tailgate hinge over a little towards the passenger side since they have a little play and maybe this would have bought me my space....but I had already drilled my holes on the pin side. Hope this helps....and I do love this carrier.

· Premium Member
3,849 Posts
I am also intrested in this rear tire carrier. I was looking at the intall photos and it looks like the tire carrier could come in contact with the tail lights when opened. I there a problem there or was it just the angle of the photos?

Just the angle of the photos. If you line everything up right before drilling, there is clearance for the passenger side as well as the driver side light without shaving anything. The "extra" mount arm extension on the passenger side is the "STOP" part of the tire carrier to keep it from opening all the way around to where the tire stays at passenger side "flush" when open.

I just finished my install 2 days ago. Couple of issues - When you mount the pin side you have to drill holes through the tub. Driver side taillight is off so you can reach into the tub and put the nuts on the screws. The bottom hole was below where you can reach inside the taillight and you can't get to it from below. So before you drill this you may want to check were yours is and if it's below you can use a self tapping screw or nothing at all. Second issue was the pin side of the carrier once mounted didn't allow me to put my taillight back on. I had to shave the side of the taillight down by a 1/4" or so just to get it back on. Looking back, I think I could have slid the tailgate hinge over a little towards the passenger side since they have a little play and maybe this would have bought me my space....but I had already drilled my holes on the pin side. Hope this helps....and I do love this carrier.

I have found the best way to prevent this is to mount up the tire carrier with the passenger side hinge bolts a little loose, mount the pin retainer and line everything up with both tail lights on. This way you can drill the bolt positions and when you finish mounting/tightening everything it will all line up without shaving anything. In your case, you can use black silicone to seal up the tail light area where you trimmed.

http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1420538#post1420538

· Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just got a message saying that the carrier sent. I appreciate all the input. I am making an install list so I know but I need to purchase and check during the install.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

· Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got my carrier today props to Rebel for getting it to me quickly.
This thing looks so much cooler in person.

· Registered
26 Posts
I love mine. I picked up the aluminum one thanks to a smokin deal from RCO - Thanks Marcus!

As mentioned, the easiest way to prevent the tail light shaving is to check and recheck clearances before drilling holes for the drivers side mount. Basically, the inside edge of the bracket will line up almost flush with the gate opening.

To access the bottom bolt/nut on the drivers side, reach into the hole for the tail light and move the piece of insulation (or whatever it is) out of the way.

One thing that worried me a little was the drivers side bracket didn't conform to the tub completely (1/4 inch gap at the top when the bottom was snugged down). Quick call to Gen-Right and my mind was at ease. If you have questions, do not hesitate to call - it took longer to dial the number than it took to get my question answered.

· Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ah been si busy lately I havent even taken a picture of it. Dropping it off to get powder coated tomorrow.

If not sooner I will get some pics up when I get it installed.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.