JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking for a good all terrain tire. I had my eye on Nitto and Pro Comps but they are too far out of my price range. Then I stumbled upon the General Grabber AT2. From what I read they are a good low dollar tire. They have great reviews and look similar to BFG All Terrains. I want to know if this is a decent tire?? and I noticed on a few websites that I have the option for studded or not. Just wondering whats up with that??

Thanks,
airmech777 :beer::beer::beer:

·
Registered
874 Posts
I have used General tires in the past and they have served me well, though I have never used the ones in question. The pro comps are not a good tire for the rocks and they are a decent tire at best for everything else. They are a very stiff tire and not good for gooey mud either. Nitto's are great tires if you dont mind paying for them. BFG, Mickey Thompson, Toyo, Cooper and Falken are good tires that I would reccomend.

·
Registered
402 Posts
The garage in my town that sells a pretty good amount of tires has been putting Kumho Sat KL 61 on a lot of rigs lately. There a mild AT tire that is great in most cases, they are in no means a dedicated off road tire but will do the typical light mud and dirt, rocky road, farm field stuff that we deal with where I live. We only had one snow here so far so I can comment on that really but they look like they will be fine by there tread pattern. I will be getting a set of these on my XJ that my X-gf drives and cant wait to see how they perform and hold up. There really cheap and people have been loving them so far and I'm looking forward to her not driving on the garbage she is now. Still the best AT going is Duratrac, but for 50-75$ more a tire on average it steers people away.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I've had two sets of Grabber AT2s.. The first set I put on my KJ diesel at 10,000 miles or so. I spoke to the second owner of that Jeep directly and he told me that he finally had to put new tires on at 90,000. That's about 80K on a set of ATs. Unreal. The tread warranty was only 60K, but he got 80K out of them.

As far as road noise, they are between the average AT and a MT. They do hummmmm but it's not horrible. They do have rim protectors which is nice. You can stud them for use in ice. They do have the "mountain snowflake" symbol on them for severe winter use. I pesonally did not like them in the snow. Just like the BFG KO, the interlocked tread tends to hold onto snow and not bite into the road...therefore they would "push" going into turns and such. I didn't like that. Offroad, they were excellent at everything except mud, for the same reasons. They were very tough tires, but they weigh a little more than the competitors.

For an all-around tire, they are one of the best choices out there for the money. If you're looking for fuel economy, there are better ATs out there. If you're looking for a snow tire, there are better ATs. But for a do-everything in all weather and all trail conditions type tire, the AT2 is consistently good at it all.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Im looking for a good all terrain tire. I had my eye on Nitto and Pro Comps but they are too far out of my price range. Then I stumbled upon the General Grabber AT2. From what I read they are a good low dollar tire. They have great reviews and look similar to BFG All Terrains. I want to know if this is a decent tire?? and I noticed on a few websites that I have the option for studded or not. Just wondering whats up with that??

Thanks,
airmech777 🍺🍺🍺
Don't settle...the KO2's are a really solid and reliable option.

·
Registered
49 Posts
OLD thread, but I have run the General Grabber AT(now X) tires on all my vehicles for over 12 years and love them. Snow rated and studdable, also (sometimes helpful in CO). Never had a problem with them

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.