JKOwners Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
I’ve had the tr3160 in a gt350 and it was pretty nice, but that tr6060(zl1) is my favorite manual tranny of all time. I still think i want an auto in my JK, but that tranny is very smooth
I'll bet. I think Robbie said in his video (or maybe the last one he did) that they're fitting a modified version of the T56 with a custom shift tower for the JK. Rockland Standard Gear offers a T56 modified for lower 1st gear and beefed up for 4wd; they call it the Tranzilla lol. Sounds superb but $$$$.

·
V8 dreams
3,573 Posts
I'll bet. I think Robbie said in his video (or maybe the last one he did) that they're fitting a modified version of the T56 with a custom shift tower for the JK. Rockland Standard Gear offers a T56 modified for lower 1st gear and beefed up for 4wd; they call it the Tranzilla lol. Sounds superb but $$$$.
Oh wow, gonna go out on a limb and guess that could get close to, if not more, than some of the engines we’re talking about!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I’ve had the tr3160 in a gt350 and it was pretty nice, but that tr6060(zl1) is my favorite manual tranny of all time. I still think i want an auto in my JK, but that tranny is very smooth
Yeah I have seen that. I'm thinking if I want all the benefit of the Gen V motor, I should probably run the transmission that it was designed for. I love driving my manual Jeep but sometimes you just need to swap things up a bit.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
V8 dreams
3,573 Posts
That's with motor and transmission. I figure I can recoup some of it from selling my 3.8/trans as well as my Rubicon transfer case.

Whew! Scared me for a sec...i took a stroll over to another thread and the premium kit to install was just short of 12k. Took a little wind out of my sails lol. I sold my bike today, but still am willing to only spend so much on this project, as i know axles and a bunch of other shit are just around the corner directly after. I won’t get much, if anything, for my junk with 125k on the ticker.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Whew! Scared me for a sec...i took a stroll over to another thread and the premium kit to install was just short of 12k. Took a little wind out of my sails lol. I sold my bike today, but still am willing to only spend so much on this project, as i know axles and a bunch of other shit are just around the corner directly after. I won’t get much, if anything, for my junk with 125k on the ticker.
Yeah, I think around 14k for the swap is my max I'm willing to spend. That's for everything I want to do, swap, gears, heat reduction hood etc. I'll be handling the install myself and I'll probably have to search for a while to find an engine/trans at the price point I'm willing to pay. That's another reason for doing the 5.3 LT. They make so many of them that the price has come down quite a bit. Finding with an 8 speed trans is going to be hard I suspect. Since I don't have access to a lift I'll also be doing the install with the body on, which will add a certain level of difficulty I'm sure.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I did my swap (l83-6L80) as a body on. The hardest part was getting the Jeep motor out. One other problem I ran into doing
the swap that I don't see mentioned anywhere is that I could not get the L83 in place without the intake manifold contacting the firewall, no matter where I moved the motor/trans on it's mounts. I ended up using a cheap 1 inch body lift to give me
enough clearance.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I did my swap (l83-6L80) as a body on. The hardest part was getting the Jeep motor out. One other problem I ran into doing

the swap that I don't see mentioned anywhere is that I could not get the L83 in place without the intake manifold contacting the firewall, no matter where I moved the motor/trans on it's mounts. I ended up using a cheap 1 inch body lift to give me

enough clearance.
Picture of the finished project? Also whose install kit did you use? This is the type of info I like to hear about! Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'll try to get some pics up, but the hose connections are pretty straight forward. On the radiator hose don't forget the adapter
to connect the steam line into the (lower hose) suction into the water pump. On the vacuum lines, use the L83 belt driven vacuum pump and loose the Jeep electric vacuum pump. The only place ithe vacuum line goes is to your brake booster. I used one of the Jeep check valves and a new piece of 3/8 inch (-6) hose. The A/C lines use the Motech modified hoses and the adapter they supply to connect to the GM compressor. I reused my old Jeep condenser (Motech has a new condenser that they recommend). Be sure to install the firewall hose connection before you install the L83. The a/c hoses run from the firewall to the condenser connection and from there over the top of the radiator, then down and back to the compressor. For the transmission cooler lines I used an afermarket adapter that converts the trans lines to AN-6 hose (3/8 inch) and used a B&M Trans cooler that is recommended by Motech.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'll try to get some pics up, but the hose connections are pretty straight forward. On the radiator hose don't forget the adapter
to connect the steam line into the (lower hose) suction into the water pump.
I know this thread is a couple of months old but after reading through it I need to clarify some hose routing myself. I have the Gen V 5.3 and due to the lack of information from Motech and web searches I took it on myself to route the hoses as I saw fit. The pic below shows the thermostat cover outlet going to the driver side radiator upper outlet with the steam pipe vent attached mid way. The lower pump outlet goes across to the passenger side radiator inlet. It's very awkward as I need that space for future a/c line(s). I'm starting to think Motech might have sent me the wrong CFS 42mm radiator. It seems mine has the same configuration as the C&R radiator is showing for the original 3.8 V6. What configuration are some of you other guys seeing with the Gen V?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Here’s mine. I went through all these same problems with my Motech kit. Seems like they have used several different configurations and haven’t documented the final setup.

There’s a solid tube that goes in both upper and lower radiator hoses. Use stock jk radiator hoses and cut to fit.

Sorry, my picture doesn’t show the hoses well, I’ll get a better shot tomorrow.

I do not have space for the overflow bottle. I can’t get it to fit anywhere.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I shipped my Jeep from Michigan to Motech (Vegas) early 2015 for an LS3/6L80 swap. I had Motech do it because I'd yet to see a person doing any swap themselves without issues (still haven't by the way.) Flew out to Vegas in late March to pick it up. Drove to Moab, wheeled EJS and drove home to Michigan. The swap was flawless and still no problems 4 years later. You won't find anybody more knowledgeable or helpful than Robbie who owns Motech.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I thought I had it bad, you had to do some major routing. I'm curious, what radiator is that? Mine is the CFS 3466 which is for my 09' with 3.8 engine. I think there is a better solution with radiator outlet placement than what we both have. I went with the silicone hoses which took a lot more splicing. Again, I would like to run the outlet hose from the pump under the fan rather than above to open up space. BTW, you might free up space for that overflow tank by moving your E-92 and TCM. I just made a bracket to secure the tank.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.