JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a Motech DIY kit, there are brackets in the hardware box that are not in the instructions. Noticed how out of date their install instructions are. I've given up asking them questions, I just get the run around. I have done many custom engines installs. I also understand they are not tech support. They could at least give you a hint of what the bracket is and what it is used for in the instructions. If they would have just had more detail I wouldn't have to ask them. Tit for tat. A little more time upfront would cost less time spent later.

Anyone out there done this swap and have a little more info on what everything is, maybe some pictures? I know I can make it work and do things my own way. but if there is a bag labeled ac line bracket there has to be a reason they added it. There is many other unanswered questions! would love input from anyone that has installed this kit.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Bought a Motech DIY kit, there are brackets in the hardware box that are not in the instructions. Noticed how out of date their install instructions are. I've given up asking them questions, I just get the run around. I have done many custom engines installs. I also understand they are not tech support. They could at least give you a hint of what the bracket is and what it is used for in the instructions. If they would have just had more detail I wouldn't have to ask them. Tit for tat. A little more time upfront would cost less time spent later.

Anyone out there done this swap and have a little more info on what everything is, maybe some pictures? I know I can make it work and do things my own way. but if there is a bag labeled ac line bracket there has to be a reason they added it. There is many other unanswered questions! would love input from anyone that has installed this kit.
What's it look like?
This? MoTech LS JK Billet Brackets

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is for a LT they don't use the Gen IV LS billet brackets for the Gen Vs. They now use mostly stock GM and only have a power steering bracket and its not billet its machined steel plates with aluminum spacers. It is small I don't have it with me or I would send a picture. It is only about 1x2 inches. I'm guessing it mounts to the motor somewhere and attached to the AC line to hold it/them in place.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

This is the side view of the bracket for the power steering. For anyone interested. its two black steel plates with 2 aluminum spaces about 3 inches long.

Ac line is just one of them that I lost on where it goes.
Also don't know where the lower coolant hose middle section is mounted. Its the metal tube that came with the kit. It has two tabs with holes in them. I have their radiator and their upgraded SS fan. No where that makes sense for it to be mounted.

There are other things that are just missing in the instructions. If they would just update their instructions.

·
Registered
61 Posts
the kits are a mess, but looking at pictures you should be able to figure it out. 1st, where are the inlet/outlet on your radiator? I know they have changed suppliers and designs a few times.
Post up pictures of the brackets you’re not sure about and I’ll see if I recognize them.

View attachment 365146

This is the side view of the bracket for the power steering. For anyone interested. its two black steel plates with 2 aluminum spaces about 3 inches long.

Ac line is just one of them that I lost on where it goes.
Also don't know where the lower coolant hose middle section is mounted. Its the metal tube that came with the kit. It has two tabs with holes in them. I have their radiator and their upgraded SS fan. No where that makes sense for it to be mounted.

There are other things that are just missing in the instructions. If they would just update their instructions.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Return the kit and get your $ back..
Contact John and he will take great care of you, everything he sells-supplys is correct and best support in the business. Motec is a lost cause IMO.

Overland Performance
John Schumacher
225-304-6288

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Return the kit and get your $ back..
Contact John and he will take great care of you, everything he sells-supplys is correct and best support in the business. Motec is a lost cause IMO.

Overland Performance
John Schumacher
225-304-6288
I'd agree.
Robbie was the king of the hill in 2011. Active on the forum, easy to reach, good support for his shop installed stuff. His builders kit sucked. Thought it was just me putting it together, but although that played a part...
Anyway.
Motech has evaporated. Would no longer recommend.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd agree.
Robbie was the king of the hill in 2011. Active on the forum, easy to reach, good support for his shop installed stuff. His builders kit sucked. Thought it was just me putting it together, but although that played a part...
Anyway.
Motech has evaporated. Would no longer recommend.
When I was looking into Overland Performance they are mostly Gen IV LS not Gen V LT. Meaning to stay street legal in most states you cant put GEN IV in 2013+ newer vehicles.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the kits are a mess, but looking at pictures you should be able to figure it out. 1st, where are the inlet/outlet on your radiator? I know they have changed suppliers and designs a few times.
Post up pictures of the brackets you’re not sure about and I’ll see if I recognize them.
I have looked at a number of pictures/videos online and haven't seen the location of the brackets I'm inquiring about. I'm away from the shop this week. I'll be able to get some pictures next week sometime. I was hoping someone that has done the Gen V LT kit recently would contact me. Swap some tips, thanks ahead of time.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
When I was looking into Overland Performance they are mostly Gen IV LS not Gen V LT. Meaning to stay street legal in most states you cant put GEN IV in 2013+ newer vehicles.
Did you call John? He had the same stuff Motech did for a while.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
OLD..contact John directly.
In a number recent Motechs YouTube videos. He claims that you can order his kits via motech or overland. Recent as in the last month. Do your own research. What says my kit doesn't have all the right parts. Its about the install of parts not current in the install instructions. The kits are for people that know how to swap. Its hard to keep up on the number of motors options and number of choices in a swap.

Also this is drowning out the OG post. This isn't a discussion about whos has a better kit. This is about help with the existing kit. The kit is 90% installed. Do your advertising elsewhere. We could turn it into a facebook group, and drown out the reason of the discussion.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I know way more about the relationship of John and Robbie than I'll talk about in public...hence why I made my comments.

Sorry you and others bought from the wrong vendor...IMO, but ya made your Bed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know way more about the relationship of John and Robbie than I'll talk about in public...hence why I made my comments.

Sorry you and others bought from the wrong vendor...IMO, but ya made your Bed.
Then you should already know! still thats not what this thread is about!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Have you called John and asked if he could help....NO so why not?
Ya want help but you don't take advantage of whats offered...

·
Registered
61 Posts
I did that same swap about 2 years ago. Went to Motech a year ago and took a bunch of pictures of their shop builds. Happy to pass along any info I have.

it seems that their kits change frequently, which is ok, but does make things confusing when you have information that doesn’t match your parts. My kit arrived very incomplete, not sure if it was Motech’s fault or my shippers fault. Had to buy lots of stuff twice but got it together. It’s a lot of fun, enjoy the process and the result.

I have looked at a number of pictures/videos online and haven't seen the location of the brackets I'm inquiring about. I'm away from the shop this week. I'll be able to get some pictures next week sometime. I was hoping someone that has done the Gen V LT kit recently would contact me. Swap some tips, thanks ahead of time.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts