JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help identify or point me into the right direction to identify the year model of the powertrain I just picked up? All the scrounging I've been doing all references the vehicle VIN number and/or RPO codes, both of which I do not have...

I obviously know it's an L86 and 8l90, but looking for year of manufacture.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Trans controller says t87, that tells me that it’s pre 2017. I see the number 15 a lot in your pictures. I suspect it’s a 2015.
If this is indeed a 2015, are there any problems associated that I would need to be concerned with or is it just software related problems that could be easily fixed?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Is that not the vin here on the block? View attachment 336996
Looks like it starts with the letter G, and not a number, so it isn’t a vehicle VIN.

I’m assuming that the OP knows that the L86 was made from 2014-2018. Other than that I have no clue, but I do have a job interview at a GM dealer tomorrow so if I get the job and no one else has solved the mystery by then I may be able to look it up.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Trans controller says t87, that tells me that it’s pre 2017. I see the number 15 a lot in your pictures. I suspect it’s a 2015.
If this is indeed a 2015, are there any problems associated that I would need to be concerned with or is it just software related problems that could be easily fixed?

2015 would be my year of choice. Only trouble may he transmission which should be corrected with updated trans fluid and programming.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Also look at the transmission. There will be a sticker with 4 large numbers/letters. The first one will give you a build year. Mine is a 5, but it is a 2016 model.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also look at the transmission. There will be a sticker with 4 large numbers/letters. The first one will give you a build year. Mine is a 5, but it is a 2016 model.
Mine starts with a 5, but the rest of the sticker is rubbed off.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
GM probably has a helpline you could call or e-mail. I contacted FCA and got the full VIN and window sticker. Just told them I bought a used engine and wanted some info, gave them the engine serial # and partial VIN stamping from the block.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
Came across some VIN/engine block info. The circled part is from the VIN. The G means it’s a 2016.

Can anyone help identify or point me into the right direction to identify the year model of the powertrain I just picked up? All the scrounging I've been doing all references the vehicle VIN number and/or RPO codes, both of which I do not have...

I obviously know it's an L86 and 8l90, but looking for year of manufacture.

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Heck yeah, thank you buddy!
Got a link to this info you found?

I think I saw it in the “GM LT Gen V Swap and Mods” Facebook page.

The last 8 digits of the vin are etched into the block.

I can’t find that Facebook post now, but some quick googling turned up this: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forum...amped-numbers-for-engine-chassis-and-vin.html

The vehicle identification number (VIN) is located on the left side rear of the engine block (1) and is typically an 11 digit number stamped or laser-etched onto the engine at the vehicle assembly plant.
The first digit identifies the division.
The second digit identifies the model year.
The third digit identifies the assembly plant.
The fourth through eleventh digits are the last 8 digits of the VIN.

749 Posts
Look at the fuel rail pressure sensor at the rear of the fuel rail. If its a 4 wire sensor its a 2014-2016 engine.... if its a 3 wire sensor then its 2017 and up.
14-16 engines are basically the same and can be ran on 14-16 calibrations. 17+ have to be ran with 17+ calibrations. I have better luck with the 17+ engine calibrations, some of the early calibrations have issues especially the 2016 calibration.

You can swap out the fuel rail sensor on the early engines and make them run on a 2017 calibration as long as your harness is pined out correctly.

Stick with the 14-16 TCM calibrations as those TCMs do not need to be unlocked. You can run a early TCM behind a 2017 engine computer.

The TCM has to be programed to match the special number on the side of the transmission. best bet is use the TCM that came with the trans so you know it matches.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts