JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I've never done anything like this before and I need a need a bit of help. I have a 2011 sahara unlimited and I plan on putting a 2.5 inch lift with 35's on eventually. It currently has 3.73 gears and I've read that it'll be a drag and I'm definitely going to want to regear. It's main purpose will be for driving on the highway but it will be taken on trails every now and then, nothing extreme. So my questions are... What gear ratio would be best for the 35's and what brands do you recommend + where to get them? Thank you all in advance!

·
Registered
190 Posts
I had the stock 4:10 gears in my old JK and ran 35's and then 37's on them. Great on the highway as long as you don't want to pass anybody in a hurry and good off-road but really slow on acceleration from a stop. Is it an auto or manual?

·
Registered
190 Posts
If you don't mind the slow starts in the city the 4:10 will be ok but I would say you'll be happier with 4:88 gears all around.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Honestly you shouldn't be hauling ass on the highway anyway in these vehicles. I run out of steam near 80 and my jeep weighs less than yours (2 door) 4:10 will be fine but if you're going to do it you might as well move up to 488s.

with my 321s I keep it at around 2700rpm when I can on the highway. which is exactly where you'll be with 488s. Anything lower it does accelerate.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Drive it for a while and then decide how intolerable it is. I drove my 3.6 L with 3.21 gears for a few months before I had it regeared to 4.56. Try to drive another one if at all possible before you make your decision - You'll be amazed how fast you run through 1st and 2nd gear with 4.56 or 4.88 gears. Can make for some fun driving though if you're not afraid of the skinny pedal!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts