JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm trying to figure out how to know what the gear ratio is on my 07 2-dr 6 sp manual Sahara is. I think I may have the tow package option because it has the 2 hooks coming up from the top of the bumper. In which case, would that mean it automatically has the 3.73 gearing?

Here's some pics:

(this pic's from before the new tires)

I'm a new Jeep owner and, as embarrassed as I may be about it now, I didn't know enough at the time to ask the dealer these questions - and I don't remember what the sticker said about the gearing if anything at all...

What's a sure way to find out? Sorry for the dumb question.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
the tow package useually means that you have a reciever in the back to tow a trailer, in wich case for 07 i belive it would have 4.10 but you dont have a tow package you have the tow hooks which i belive have no bearing on what gears you have, so all i can say is you prob dont have 4.10's, which would prob mean you have 3.73's

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I think you have the 373's... with the tow option it gave you 410's

·
Premium Member
4,932 Posts
Gears

So I'm trying to figure out how to know what the gear ratio is on my 07 2-dr 6 sp manual Sahara is. I think I may have the tow package option because it has the 2 hooks coming up from the top of the bumper. In which case, would that mean it automatically has the 3.73 gearing?

Here's some pics:

(this pic's from before the new tires)

I'm a new Jeep owner and, as embarrassed as I may be about it now, I didn't know enough at the time to ask the dealer these questions - and I don't remember what the sticker said about the gearing if anything at all...

What's a sure way to find out? Sorry for the dumb question.

Thanks!
There is a website you can plug your vin in and they will email you all the particulars for your Jeep. I got to look it up but give me a few....If U bought it used it could have been ordered with something outside the norm for the original buyer-

Just say you want the build sheet-Took less than a day to get mine!

http://www.jeep.com/wccsapp/universal/J/index.jsp?appStr=wccs&titleStr=Contact+Jeep&familyStr=brand&franchise=J&actionURL=/wccs/brand_forms/us/webform.jsp&promotion=null&category=U

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
I will show you the window sticker that was the gear in my jeep
Misprints happen.

Take a pic of the ring & pinion so we can count the teeth. Then I'll believe there was such a beast. I find it very difficult to believe that one 3.07 gear ratio snuck out of the line when it wasn't even an option. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I built my jeep it had 3.07 gear from the factory you guy need to do some more homework I also have a freind with the same gear in his 08 x 2dr with the 6sp also

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
Sent this question in to the "Contact Us" link on Jeep.com...
Comments:
Has there ever been a 3.07:1 ratio available from the factory on the JK
Wrangler ('07-'10)? Thank you.
... and got this response...

Dear (jeeperjkj):

Thank you for contacting the Jeep Customer Assistance Center in regards
to axle ratio on the Jeep.

There is no 3.07:1 factory ratio on the Jeep Wrangler 2007-2010

Thanks again for your email.

Sincerely,

Marc

Customer Service Representative
Jeep Customer Assistance Center
Not that I needed to ask, but I figured it'd be valuable in this conversation.

Are you sure you're not building a TJ/LJ? :thefinger::shaking:

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Back on topic, dkrz123, you definitely don't have the tow package. If you did, you would have a receiver hitch instead of the rear tow hook.

So, the question becomes, what is the factory gear ratio for a 2007 Sahara without the tow package?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
my '07 Sahara came with 4.10s maybe you will be as lucky as i was? mine has the 6 speed

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Ok, I just got back from doing a test. I used this gear ratio chart as my guide:

So now I'm more confused than ever... I just put BFG"s on yesterday, size is 275/70 R18 (33.16").

I did this test at 70mph (according to the chart that is the range)

I tried 4th, 5th and 6th gears @ 70mph because I was not sure which gear I should be testing in. I thought I read somewhere that 4th gear will give me the 1:1 ratio I'm looking for :confused:

6 speed manual:

4th gear @ 70mph = 3900
5th gear @ 70mph = 3100
6th gear @ 70mph = 2600

3900 (in 4th gear) is off the chart !! :shocked:

Can anyone help clearify? Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
If you have an 07 without tow package (you do) then you have 3.21 gears....
East way to check is the vin thing,
you can also jack up the rear , put a mark on your tire (chalk) and and turn the driveshaft and see how your wheels react. A little math and you can easily figure it out.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nope, 5th is 1:1.

4th is like 1.25:1.

Looks like you might have 4.88's.

Maybe those were an option in '07 that we didn't know about, too! :)
Hmm, interesting. I always seem to be out of gears by the time I hit around 50. I blow right through 1rst to 3rd in a few seconds...

According to that chart, is it possible that I might even be at 5.13 ? That's just crazy...

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you have an 07 without tow package (you do) then you have 3.21 gears....
East way to check is the vin thing,
you can also jack up the rear , put a mark on your tire (chalk) and and turn the driveshaft and see how your wheels react. A little math and you can easily figure it out.
So it's not possible that the previous owner had the thing regeared or maybe as a factory option? Those are the numbers I got. Did you see my test results? What does it mean - thanks...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts