JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey!

I will be looking to install gears in my new '12 in the next month or two. I am considering just having them done, but I usually prefer to do things myself if it's realistic. It's far more satisfying to know whats going on first-hand in the Jeep.

The trouble is, I've never done a gear install. Anyone in the area experienced with gearing and able to show a new guy the ropes? No rush on it.

Thanks!
Adam

·
Registered
428 Posts
I like to dabble in shite too but a gear install is pretty important. Its one thing I won't touch and I have a buddy with an 80 series that is paying the price for trying to do it "yourself". I would have it done by either HC 4x4, they set up my prorock, or 4 wheel parts in Denver, they did my initial install a few years back. It seems the Bach crawlers place in monument is pretty nice, I am not sure what all they perform tho. I think fourplyn also got his done at 4wheel parts along with tonkajeep.

Good luck! Wave If you see the big yellow rig Rollin!

·
Registered
567 Posts
A mechanic friend of mine who can do everything, including engine swaps in his sleep recommended I get my gears done at a shop that specializes in nothing but gears. On his advice, I would not attempt this mod at my local service station nor in my garage with some beer buddies. There must be a reason why the good shops charge so much in labor costs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haha. Well, there it is...firm advice that it is better to pay the pros on this one. That is fine by me. I would hate for my work to tank somewhere in the middle of nowhere on my trip to the arctic circle next summer.

Thanks, fellas. I will certainly wave!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.