JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok.. having read multiple sources say that all gear brands are made basically In the same shop, Im trying to find a reason not to install motive gear ring and pinions with koyo bearing kits. As long as they are made in Korea they're good? Can this be confirmed?

·
Registered
749 Posts
Isnt that still just a rumor?

Regardless for peace of mind alone, Im sticking with Yukon or Spicer
Don't know for positive , absolute , myself …...but that's the rumor .

When you buy , what your buying is customer service and a warranty …...so Yukon is what I buy .

Never had a problem after the fact but the customer service when the purchase was made was topnotch FWIW .

·
Banned
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't know for positive , absolute , myself …...but that's the rumor .

When you buy , what your buying is customer service and a warranty …...so Yukon is what I buy .

Never had a problem after the fact but the customer service when the purchase was made was topnotch FWIW .
Weeeelllllll when BUYing something, sure... I was just looking at a telus display in the mall the other day and when the sales rep found out i had a new 4k tv she basically turned into a stripper and gave me a lap dance in front of everyone. I didnt buy the service, and she acted as though if slapped her in the face. Point; customer service at time of purchase is salesman ship

·
Registered
8,296 Posts
Weeeelllllll when BUYing something, sure... I was just looking at a telus display in the mall the other day and when the sales rep found out i had a new 4k tv she basically turned into a stripper and gave me a lap dance in front of everyone. I didnt buy the service, and she acted as though if slapped her in the face. Point; customer service at time of purchase is salesman ship
Yukon customer service is top notch whether its at time of purchase, way after the fact or just asking questions in general although I never got the stripper experience from them.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Yukon customer service is top notch whether its at time of purchase, way after the fact or just asking questions in general although I never got the stripper experience from them.
Me neither , but go ahead and buy from someone else and they may just ship when they get around to it .
All part of customer service , and ask a question and you just may get "I don't know , I just type up the order ."
"Never even seen a gear set in person", "You need to talk to our tech guy , but he's takin' a crap , I'll have him call you when he gets done ."

Some one remind me not to answer this guys request for opinions .

·
Registered
332 Posts
Most gear brands are made in Korea with the manufacturer specifications. I've used motive gears and Yukon gears without any issues. Use whatever makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Me neither , but go ahead and buy from someone else and they may just ship when they get around to it .

All part of customer service , and ask a question and you just may get "I don't know , I just type up the order ."

"Never even seen a gear set in person", "You need to talk to our tech guy , but he's takin' a crap , I'll have him call you when he gets done ."

Some one remind me not to answer this guys request for opinions .
Hey sorry man, I suppose I came off as snarky. Didnt mean to, I can be.... unpalatable, sometimes. Agree customer service is important. I'm trying to justify the extra several hundred dollars paid for a brand name. You opinion is valued here.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Here’s a pit I fell into, maybe it will save you some grief.

I did some research and decided on Yukon Gears. I purchased the master rebuild kits as well as the gear sets when i caught a good sale and the $150 or so rebate running simultaneously.

I can’t (won’t) try to do this job myself it’s above my pay grade, so I set out to find someone I could trust to do the install.

Little known to me but most shops don’t want too, or won’t install gears that they didn’t supply. The reason most quote (and it makes perfect sense too me), is that if a warranty issue arises, so does an argument between the gear manufacture and the shop that did the work. His fault vs their fault yada yada.
Any way, it took some doing but I found a shop that does sell Yukon gears, and we’re willing to do my install but the price I ended up paying for the labor ate up all my savings from the sale and rebate.

If you can’t, or don’t want to set up and install your own gears, my advice is to find a shop that sells the gears you want. Let them sell you the gears AND do the install.

The route I took didn’t cost me anything extra but it sure was a PITA, and I had to drive a couple of hours to the shop.

This may not pertain to your situation but if it does, TIFWIW

·
Banned
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pmedic!

Yeah, I've been asking the same 2 local shops I'd trust for years about the cost of doing it. I would be better off buying a new front axle and regear the rear. I am considering letting a stranger off facebook do my install to teach me a lesson or buck the system whichever result I end up with. :rollthedice:

*did that emoji work? I was just guessing

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have had a Yukon with bad run-out and they did warranty it, eventually.

FWIW Last time I ordered gears the guy on the phone at ECGS told me to try the much cheaper USA gear and told me that they are basically the same and they don't see more issues with them over others and I could save some money.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I used to work for Richmond Gear when they made their ring and pinions in South Carolina. Since then, they have moved production overseas. I ran into the guy that was the plant manager there at a trade show in Miami last year and I asked him about ring and pinions for my Jeep. His response was that as far as he knew they were still all made in the same place and that if he was buying, he would look for the best warranty, customer service and price and go that route.

·
Banned
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm going to get motive gears. Almost 100%decided.

Coworker has a couple of built and locked axles under his 2008 and he is trading that jeep to the dealership (I know....) if he doesnt sell me those axles I'll be getting motive gear 4.88s and a truetrac in the rear with a torq up front

1 - 15 of 15 Posts