JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Slightly dumber than Al Gore's suggestion that he invented the internet was the idea of the JK engineers to mount the gas tank below the frame rails.

That said....what can be done about it?

I know there are aftermarket skids available to beef up the protection. But that is still a crappy fix. You add another layer of 3/16" steel and that helps. But over that wide an area you are still allowing for big dents and bashes in it. If you support it with some beefy tubing, you kill clearance even more - not a good idea since it's already so low.

Alec and I are probably gonna beef ours with some 3/16" in the near future. But.....I'm wondering if there are other options.

Has anyone come out with a new, smaller tank that can be swapped for the OEM? Maybe a relocated tank?

I'd give up capacity to allow for mounting the tank above the level of the frame rails.

Anyone know of any good options outside of a thicker skid?

·
Registered
420 Posts
I just broke down and bought a Rock Hard skid, but I've been waiting for someone to come out with a slightly smaller tank that pulls the tank above the frame rails and provides an integrated skid. I think something like that would be fairly easy to design (could design an identical tank as stock but pull it up a few inches) and would be a popular mod.

G

·
0 Posts
I think a great way to address this issue would be to relocate the evap canister and then make two tanks, one that replaces the stock tank but tucks up above the frame rail (it would have less capacity and should have a skid) and a second tank (with a skid) that mounts on the other side (where the evap canister was) that makes up for the lost capacity and perhaps even adds some additional capacity. This would obviously be a fairly complex product but would be extremely nice.

·
Registered
314 Posts
There is a local guy who makes gas tanks any size you want. I think it would be like 900 bucks. Not sure it is worth it. I would rather spend that on a lift.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
There is a local guy who makes gas tanks any size you want. I think it would be like 900 bucks. Not sure it is worth it. I would rather spend that on a lift.
That's the problem and why this is not a priority for manufactuers. I'm not trying to single you out YmansJK. I'm just using you to make my point. To do it right, it's gonna cost some money. Sure lots of us would love this, but how many of us would rush out and buy a new tank and skid for $1000. With a To Do list as long as most of ours are, it might make it on there, but I guarantee, it wouldn't be at the top for most.

A great idea, yes, but to a munufactuer, the dollar signs aren't jumping out at them. Maybe I'm wrong. It happened once.:smokin:

·
Registered
777 Posts
kilby is the only one i know of that makes a replacement skid

i dented mine up pretty good this weekend, will probably get me a kilby sooner then later

A

·
0 Posts
Even when you lift it’s still the lowest point affecting the break over angle. I’d be willing to spend a few hundred to get a smaller tank but it’s not on my priority list right now.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts

i dented mine up pretty good this weekend, will probably get me a kilby sooner then later
Is Kilby's a replacement or a bolt over? Rock Hard has a bolt over out as well.

After the $h!t I went through with my evap canister I can only imagine what it would take (electrical wise) to change the tank. Bill Burke was hired as a consultant by Chrysler and said a smaller fuel tank was at the top of his list of recommendations. He had a pretty low opinion of the company although he really likes the JK overall.

As far as cost efficiency goes I've gotta agree with YmansJK and go with lift and tires.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bill Burke was hired as a consultant by Chrysler and said a smaller fuel tank was at the top of his list of recommendations. He had a pretty low opinion of the company although he really likes the JK overall.
Well that's some good news!

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Who's Bill Burke?

·
Registered
900 Posts

he doesn't have it for production and the ones he made are sold. I contacted Brad and he told me to hit him up in a month. i have seen what people have done to rockhard skids and they don't look much better then factory.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
he doesn't have it for production and the ones he made are sold. I contacted Brad and he told me to hit him up in a month. i have seen what people have done to rockhard skids and they don't look much better then factory.
I have seen what I have done to it and it is MUCH better than factory. I've seen what ONE guy did to his and what he took it through would have broken anything short of 1" plate. Sometimes a little drive around is the best skid plate. If you damage a Rock Hard skid, it's intentional.

G

·
0 Posts
"During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet." Al Gore

http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/stories/1999/03/09/president.2000/transcript.gore/index.html
Creating and inventing are two different things, as the original snopes.com link pointed out. It is correct to say that you have taken the initiative to create something if you have worked to provide funding and legislation that supports the creation of that entity. That does not mean that you are saying that you invented, ie, designed and implemented it. The constant citing of the phrase that Al Gore said he invented the internet is, first, incorrect, and secondly, just cheap political posturing, as noted in the snopes article.

·
Registered
420 Posts
"During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet." Al Gore

http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/stories/1999/03/09/president.2000/transcript.gore/index.html
Sorry to continue this off-topic discussion, but this quote is not Al Gore saying he invented the internet. He sponsored a couple early bills which helped create/expand the internet as we know it today, which is essentially what he is saying in that quote. The snopes link provided by gcg above expands on this. Edit - gcg beat me to it..

Back on topic, I bought the Rock Hard gas tank skid because I didn't want to pay the extra price for the Kilby skid and I figured a 3/16" Rock Hard skid + stock skid would be about as strong as a 3/16" Kilby skid, particularly for my planned wheeling, which is not that extreme. I just got the Rock Hard skid in the other day and it seems solid, although there were a few powder coat nicks on the edges that I had to touch up.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
although there were a few powder coat nicks on the edges that I had to touch up.

LOL. Touching up a skid plate?

·
Registered
420 Posts
LOL. Touching up a skid plate?
Sure - and I plan to rattle can it every 6 months or so to keep the rust back - what's wrong with that???

1 - 20 of 48 Posts