JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2012 JKU build in progress
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody come up with a less expensive solution than the aftermarket aluminum tanks?
Maybe fitting a TJ or Cherokee fuel tank behind the axle on a JKU.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Found the info I think I need after a proper search

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Genright had a conversion kit some years ago.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Has anybody come up with a less expensive solution than the aftermarket aluminum tanks?
Maybe fitting a TJ or Cherokee fuel tank behind the axle on a JKU.
I just put in the genright 25 gallon tank and it’s awesome! It fits great and makes the handling and balance amazing. I found it used for $400
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
278 Posts
Motobilt made a slightly more economical rear tank conversion and they frequently have 10% sales on various category of parts. It was a couple hundred cheaper a few months ago when they first came out with the product.
Product Font Rectangle Electronic device Automotive design

·
Registered
4,601 Posts
A flat belly is a poor way to build as is really restricts link bracket placement and offers poor geometry due to that. If you have to do inspections on your jeep for DMV it is also illeagle to put the fuel tank behind the axle on a JK and is the reason the factory tank is where it is.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A flat belly is a poor way to build as is really restricts link bracket placement and offers poor geometry due to that. If you have to do inspections on your jeep for DMV it is also illeagle to put the fuel tank behind the axle on a JK and is the reason the factory tank is where it is.
Have you seen the Genright setup? I think they have the geometry figured out.
They are passing through California inspections, and they are probably the hardest to pass with all their emission standards.
We don't have inspections here in Florida anyway.

·
Registered
4,601 Posts
I have been under a couple of the Genright kits. Geometry is so so. Little seperation in the links as the frame and they use a upper bracket that is 90 degree from what is best in terms of the wear on the joint/misalignment. The North East has some pretty strict regulations and inspections, just stating that to those that may not know. You are not likely to have an issue but it is a federal regulation like removing the emmisions equipment from a diesel motor.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have been under a couple of the Genright kits. Geometry is so so. Little seperation in the links as the frame and they use a upper bracket that is 90 degree from what is best in terms of the wear on the joint/misalignment. The North East has some pretty strict regulations and inspections, just stating that to those that may not know. You are not likely to have an issue but it is a federal regulation like removing the emmisions equipment from a diesel motor.
Thanks for the info, I wasn't trying to challenge you.
Always looking for perspective, it would certainly cost less to leave the JKU suspension design alone and just put the rest of the Metalcloak control arms on be what it is. That extra 3" of break over is seductive though!

·
Registered
4,601 Posts
I am a metal cloak dealer and I get axle requests and a weekly basis, they are what they are. Big tires run properly and reliably just cost $$$$ and now more than ever with the massive inflation we are seeing. "Lets go Brandon!" Big tires look cool but I have more respect for the jeeper that can drive on the trails without being overbuilt.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am a metal cloak dealer and I get axle requests and a weekly basis, they are what they are. Big tires run properly and reliably just cost $$$$ and now more than ever with the massive inflation we are seeing. "Lets go Brandon!" Big tires look cool but I have more respect for the jeeper that can drive on the trails without being overbuilt.
I get ya, I did the 3.5 MC True Dual with Rocksports and running 37"s, impressed with the way it handles on and offroad not sure the expense of doing all the conversion work to gain that 3"s is worth it for me right now. And I wheel with a few guys that are all running the game changer and can see the capability it offers.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Have you seen the Genright setup? I think they have the geometry figured out.
They are passing through California inspections, and they are probably the hardest to pass with all their emission standards.
We don't have inspections here in Florida anyway.
Modifying the evap and gas system is an automatic fail in California. Highly unlikely the tank passes inspection, unless the smog person doesn’t know what they’re looking at or turns a blind eye.

There three likely explanations for a Jeep with a Genright tank staying registered are:
1. The Jeep is less than 8 years old and not due for its first smog test yet.
2. The Jeep is registered in a county without biannual smog inspections.
3. They’ve got a friendly smog guy who passes them.

Do what you want, but if you’re in CA, you better be in a county without biannual smog requirements.

·
Registered
973 Posts
+1 genright not being great on their rear end design, the rear anti-squat is horrendous on that kit, I've personally seen it be very bouncy climbing rock in the desert (much worse than a modest lift on factory control arm mounting points). That said it wouldn't be that hard for a fabricator to fix if you're willing to either drop the lowers and/or push the uppers through the body.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts