JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok after 3 years of owning my jeep I decided to see how many miles i could actually get to a tank till I needed a fill up. On fuel economy.gov it says I have a 21.6 g tank will 315 miles total. I drove till I hit 300.2 and decided that was close enough without running out of gas. When I filled up all I could squeeze in was 15.7 g The entire tank of gas I drove very conservatly shifting at 2k rmp and did not go over 55mph. My question is where is the other 4.5 gallons I have supposed to have. Any Ideas?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Here would be my guess. Your mileage is going to be down from factory since you're running 35's. There other thing is from what I know, the mfr's make it so that you have a couple gallons of gas left even though your gauge says empty. They do this to help make sure you don't run out of gas.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I forgot to say I put my 32's back on

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
anyone?

·
Premium Member
2,507 Posts
sevral scenarios:

Pump cut off too soon due to back pressure.

Gas gauge is off. When my low fuel warning light kicks on, i still have 4.5gallons left in tank easy.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Any dents in your gas tank from wheeling?

From my owners manual...
2dr is 18.5G
4dr is 22.0G

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
looks like the question has been answered... you will still have around 4.5 gallons left after needle reaches E... mainly to keep you from running it dry...

·
Premium Member
3,068 Posts
Most gas tanks only fill to 80% of capacity by design. This is done to allow for fuel and vapor expansion in hot weather. Sadly the manufacturer will still lie to you saying you have a 20g tank knowing full well they have it built to only hold 16g.

·
Registered
821 Posts
You have a two door's gas tank.

Edit: I took mine down as far as my asshole would let me the other day, and it held 21.2 gallons when I filled up.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yes it's a two door looks like i will have to drive around with a gas can in the jeep when it is sitting on E to find out how many miles i can actually go,so far i am at 96 with it being just under 1/4 gone

·
Registered
606 Posts
The gauge isn't linear, at least mine isn't. It drops slower at first then accelerates. So, for example, I get more miles out of the first indicated 1/4 tank than the third.

I have about 4 gals in when the light goes on.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Do it again but run it till it dies. Just carry a can with ya so you don't get stranded.

Sent from my iPhone using severed monkey feet.

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
Mine sure as hell doesn't hold 4.5 gallons when the light comes on. I pushed it a little one time and ended up coasting that bitch into a gas station. I have no idea what kind of mileage it gets but sure don't fook around when the gauge gets close to E.

Good luck with your calculations, and have some gas handy.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
If you have a 2 dr then 15.7 is probably right.
It only holds 18. so 2 gal reserve.

Run it dry and see.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok after 3 tanks running it bone dry 18.4 is what I can put into the tank. and the final numbers are 348/339/342, so I would be safe running the tank till 325 miles, but averaging 340 miles a tank is not too bad.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts