JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of my wife just got a 2010 JK Unlimited. She is complaining that she can only put 13 gallons of gas in it at the most. My wife and I both have JKUs and we can each put 19+ gallons in when it is empty. Mine is an '08 and the wife's is an '09. I think ours has a 23 gallon capacity which means there is still about 4 gallons left when at the empty marker. I have ran out of gas before but I don't remember how far past the empty line it was.

My question is why is this 2010 only able to fill it up with 13 gallons. My personal guess is the fuel gauge is off, but that is waaaay off. Is the fuel capacity the same for all JKs (2007-2010) and what is it? She tried going to her dealership but they are giving her the run around and wont answer anything. She wants to try another dealership but I wanted to arm her with some knowledge first.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
718 Posts
I have a 2 door and my capacity is significantly less than yours (ive never put more than 16 in) But if your talking about an unlimited then I have no idea. Im pretty sure they havent changed it ... and if they did not THAT much.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya I can put 19 and change in both mine and my wife's JK unlimited. I don't know if 2 doors have a different capacity. It sounds like they might if you only get 16. If that is the case I guess there is the off chance that a 2 door gas tank is installed on her 4 door JK.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Look for a part number on the gas tank. Or....

Drive it until it begins to sputter. (Have a pre-filled gas can at hand.:D)
See how much it takes to fill it up.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RTFM

See 2010 Wrangler Owners Manual page 501

If you don't have a copy, download it free here http://www.jeep.com/en/owners/manuals/index.html
Page 501 says 4 doors have 22.5 gallons. My original post said 23 gallons. :thefinger:

Look for a part number on the gas tank. Or....

Drive it until it begins to sputter. (Have a pre-filled gas can at hand.:D)
See how much it takes to fill it up.
Looking for a part number is a great idea. I will pass that on. I will mention the gas can/drive till it stops method also.

I have a 2 door and my capacity is significantly less than yours (ive never put more than 16 in) But if your talking about an unlimited then I have no idea. Im pretty sure they havent changed it ... and if they did not THAT much.

Even if she has the 18 gal 2door version it doesn't explain the 13 gallons that she is getting. I think the fuel gauge has to be the issue. Hopefully a dealership will check it out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts