JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alec and I tried our hand and skid plate making today. We spend the day outside my garage and spend about 4 hours work time on these plates.

We were going to make full length skids by welding some 3/16" plate the existing tank skid. I found out that it holds the gas tank up and we didn't want to hassle with disconnecting all the fuel lines, etc. Also, no way were were going to weld to the existing skid while it was attached to the gas tank. So, we made some partial skids - enough to cover the front section where you actually bash it.

Now, before you compare these things to the Skid Row plates.........we spend about $20 in metal for each skid. That's a far cry from $350 + shipping. :D

We were pretty happy with them, and might extend them back to the rear section at a future date.

Here are the pics:

They are welded up front, bolted in the rear.

Side View:

Rear, where the transfer case skid attaches. Bolts are sunked to prevent shearing.

Passenger side:

Welded directly to the cross member up front:

A

·
0 Posts
Pre-installed. The welds on this one are crap because I did them and can't weld (yet) :D

A

·
0 Posts
Darwin moment! Tack welding a bracket 2 inches from a plastic gas tank full of gas. Note the empty plastic whiskey cup on the welder :eek::eek:

A

·
0 Posts
BTW Alan, I forgot that you are at 7,500 feet and my face has some wicked sunburn :bawling::laughing:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BTW Alan, I forgot that you are at 7,500 feet and my face has some wicked sunburn :bawling::laughing:
Haha! Me too. I am the biggest redneck right now. :D :D :D

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
lol, I was standing out side looking in towards the garage long enough that only the LEFT side of my face is sunburnt!

Thanks for welding my cabs for me. I would be happy to return the favor so if you ever need a hand with anything let me know!

BTW, I love this pic, lol. What is going on over at the work bench in the back ground? :beer::beer:

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
so, since it is welded directly to the crossmember, are you just going to cut it off if your fuel pump goes bad and you have to take the gas tank out to replace it?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so, since it is welded directly to the crossmember, are you just going to cut it off if your fuel pump goes bad and you have to take the gas tank out to replace it?
I'll use a cut of wheel and take it out in about 1 minute. There is perfect access to get a disc in there if need be.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BTW, I love this pic, lol. What is going on over at the work bench in the back ground? :beer::beer:

hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahaha!!!!!!!! :D:D:D

:beer::beer::beer:

·
Registered
792 Posts
Looks like it works to me. Nicely done.

Did you guys consider bending the front end up around the crossmember (or adding an L-bracket) and bolting it to the cross member?

I'll use a cut of wheel and take it out in about 1 minute. There is perfect access to get a disc in there if need be.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Very nice job guys, me likey. When are you going into production?

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Nice job. I really like that I didn't see any :nuke: That Jack would've had me doin' somethin' stupid sooner or later. As you look for add ons to the skids, the second most "used" part of my skid plate runs down the drive shaft side edge.
:beer:

·
Registered
420 Posts
Looks really good - the front part of the skid is going to take the most abuse, so a partial skid makes sense.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I'm going to be doing the same as soon as I get the fab shop setup including a brake so I can bend it the way I want. Just got my car lift in today. Electricians are wiring it up. Sweet

1 - 18 of 18 Posts