JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I was out in rural PA and saw a major gas pipe line (at least 100 ft wide) there was no gate so I drove down it (in first gear!!!!). This dude rides up in a four wheeler and starts yelling at me and takes a pic of my license plate. He says it's posted and I could get fined $300. It's up a road I have lived on most of my life, so I say OK.....Sorry, I guess I'll have to pay it.

My question is, isn't a gas line a public easment. We ride snowmobiles on them in the winter all the time. I was totally cool with the guy and if i'm wrong then oh well. Let me know if you know, not what you think.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
From the powerline dealings here in the south we have found the easement is usually with a private land. Like my grandparents have a farm, own the land but the power company has an easement to run power lines through a section of it. Doesn't make this area public because of the easement, just gives the power company the right to come and go.

Best bet when out wheeling, if you don't know the owner, its not an ORV park or county/city road, or you do not have written permission to be there then steer clear of it. Better safe than sorry

·
Registered
220 Posts
Those easements are with the property owner only. The property owner still owns the land, and can post it, the utility has just purchased the right to place their facilities there.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I have a gasline easement through my property. It simply gives the gas company control over that part of the land.... they don't own it, I still do. But they can remove any trees, dig, spray or whatever without consent. It's trespassing on private property if you venture there.

I also have a power easement that includes water and phone, it's virtually the same.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
thanks

thanks, I was really appologetic with the guy. So I guess if I get fined, I pay, I'm in the wrong. Just somewhere I have grown up and was curious, but absolutly wrong. Oh well, live and learn. People have done worse things I guess. At least I didn't get out of first gear. Got a good pic though....LOL

1 - 5 of 5 Posts