JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im worse than Grant when it comes to researching everything I buy. I bought a Garmin 60CSx GPS today but now Im wondering if I shouldnt have bought the Colorado 300. What are your experiences? We will mostly use it to geocache and mark trails. Id like your feedback on these two units if you have experience with them. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
Im worse than Grant when it comes to researching everything I buy. I bought a Garmin 60CSx GPS today but now Im wondering if I shouldnt have bought the Colorado 300. What are your experiences? We will mostly use it to geocache and mark trails. Id like your feedback on these two units if you have experience with them. Thanks!
Now see here is your problem - you bought it and now have questions about it.

I ask questions before i buy it. :thefinger:

check out consumer reviews on the products like amazon and consumer reports. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
check out consumer reviews on the products like amazon and consumer reports. ;)
Ive done that asshat. Its mixed. The 60CSx is tried and proven. The 300 is new technology and has a better screen. Im looking for user feedback :thefinger:

·
Registered
792 Posts
I did this search a while back (3 months). I ready everything I could find on Pirate and from what I read I would have gone with the 60. (sorry I know it's not first hand knowledge).

·
Premium Member
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did this search a while back (3 months). I ready everything I could find on Pirate and from what I read I would have gone with the 60. (sorry I know it's not first hand knowledge).
Ruskin, I appreciate the feedback. The 60CSx is the one I went with. When I was in California I had the pleasure of riding with Dr Dirty and that is the one he was using. I liked how it worked so thats the one I went with. The 300 is pretty cool that you can download the hints and difficulties on the caches. I think overall the 60 is the better unit though and the reason I chose it. My head is spinning with all the info out there though.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Many will tell you good things about the 60csx. It's a good time proven gps. The colorado is a good gps, but is a pain to use due to the scroll wheel being the only control button. Probably not much different than the 60 though really.

The Oregon on the other hand is all touch screen so going through options and different screens is much easier. Also, entering info such as waypoint names is much faster. Otherwise, many of the features of the Colorado and the Oregon are the same.

Also, for a new gps user, the Oregon is much easier to learn. Seeing as you already have the 60csx, I would learn how to use it and enjoy it. It is a good gps.

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
Ruskin, I appreciate the feedback. The 60CSx is the one I went with. When I was in California I had the pleasure of riding with Dr Dirty and that is the one he was using. I liked how it worked so thats the one I went with. The 300 is pretty cool that you can download the hints and difficulties on the caches. I think overall the 60 is the better unit though and the reason I chose it. My head is spinning with all the info out there though.
Hey boss i bought the colorado when they first came out and had nothing but problems i could never get good signals and it always froze garmin has come out with all the firmware fixes for this scince but i had already returned it

i went with the 60csx because i have many many friends using it and they showed me how to use it and it is a proven gps i have contempalted buying the oregon but just cant fin it in me to get rid of the 60 csx

its an awesome unit for geocaching i think once you get used to it youll really like it and enjoy how easy it is to use

·
Registered
601 Posts
I have the 60cs and it has never let me down. Great signal quality. The other reason I use it is for my HAM radio. There aren't many GPS's out there that still have serial NEMA data IO. This one does.

Jeff

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have owned both of these units. I liked the 60csx and it has never let me down. I purchased the Colorado because I am also into geocaching. I like its ability to download everything about a cache including the hint when I am stuck. I have never had a problem with it except it likes to eat batteries. If they could make a 60 that could download all of that information I would buy it.

·
Premium Member
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for the replies. I guess Im just hung up on how much better the Colorado maps look over the 60CSx and the fact that you can download all the info about the cache. I know that Garmin keeps sending updates for the Colorado so eventually wouldnt you agree the technology of it will be superior to the 60CSx?

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
Thanks everyone for the replies. I guess Im just hung up on how much better the Colorado maps look over the 60CSx and the fact that you can download all the info about the cache. I know that Garmin keeps sending updates for the Colorado so eventually wouldnt you agree the technology of it will be superior to the 60CSx?
i think eventually it will be better, you can get all the info for the caches but its a little more difficultto do. i would like to go to the oregon so my daughter could use it. but when i do switch i will def not even look at the colorado again :D

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Number one rule in electronics purchasing

Research >>>>> decision >>>> buy >>>>>> DON"T LOOK BACK.

Tech changes so fast, tomorrow something better will come out, (Moore's law) So once you buy stop looking unless you experience problems.

·
Registered
62 Posts
this might be one hel of a stupid question but what is geocaching?
If you want to know about geocaching go to geocaching.com, it will explain everything for you. Alls you need is a GPS and a computer. It is a great pastime for the family.

·
Registered
50 Posts
GPS

Just my experience(Iraq,Afghan) using the old rino and it gets the job done. 60csx has the ability to pre-plan routes and alternates. Its rugged and waterproof. I personally might buy the Oregon 300 or 400t just to give it a shot overseas. Some GPS units are preloaded with TOPO and some are not. I guess it boils down to price and how much your going to use it. Let us know what you come up with.:beer:

·
Premium Member
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Im keeping the 60CSx. After everything Ive read and the reliability Im happy with it. I downloaded the version 4.0 software (May 09) from the Garmin site and also the Florida Topo map that was free from one of the posts on the geocaching website. It was much better than the one Garmin had to offer. Plus there was a free site you can download the geocache info onto your Nuvi if you have one. So I'll put it all in there and then when I get out of the Jeep use the 60CSx to dial into the location.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
while i can not help between the two models listed (Magellan Triton 2000 here) i think the biggest issue is the software you run, not the GPS itself. the gps is only the interface to the software when it comes to mapping and logging trails/tracks. anything with touch screen is going to be a little easier to use in some instances, but it can not rely solely on that. doing so makes you go thru page after page.

if you are happy with the interface of the unit, think about the software. personally, i would avoid the NatGeo software. i wasted my money on it and you have to purchase detail maps. even those you download are kind of cartoon-ish looking.

i've been very happy with my Magellan. i've geocached with it recently and it has proven very accurate.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts