JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· RIP Brad
3,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at the G2 axles and they look like re branded Curries. I have a message out to Currie to see what the differences might be, but want to see if anyone here might have any clue as well while I wait for them (I'll post back my findings too).

· Premium Member
8,711 Posts
Looking at the G2 axles and they look like re branded Curries. I have a message out to Currie to see what the differences might be, but want to see if anyone here might have any clue as well while I wait for them (I'll post back my findings too).
It is a Currie RockJock housing stuffed with G2 axles, R&P, etc and assembled by G2.

Currie uses their own axles and Motive R&P.

· RIP Brad
3,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay.... assuming everything else is G2 and assuming I can get a special discount at 4WP, is it worth the (perceived) quality difference for some money savings? I say perceived as I personally have never run any G2 parts other than R&P sets and I have never had any issue with them. I do, as I am sure you do, read lots of bad things about the G2 line.

Also considering a FF Dynatrac, so cost isn't everything, value for dollar is.

· Premium Member
8,711 Posts
Okay.... assuming everything else is G2 and assuming I can get a special discount at 4WP, is it worth the (perceived) quality difference for some money savings? I say perceived as I personally have never run any G2 parts other than R&P sets and I have never had any issue with them. I do, as I am sure you do, read lots of bad things about the G2 line.

Also considering a FF Dynatrac, so cost isn't everything, value for dollar is.
I'm sure you've done the homework on this.. what is the cost difference between what you would have to pay for a "Currie" and a "G2"?

If you were a 4 door we would be having a different discussion, FF Currie or FF Dynatrac.. but since you're a 2 door the SF is not a horrible choice as you are so much lighter and I don't think you would be bending the shafts like us 4 door pigs... though FF is a nice insurance policy and a nice price tag.

Back to the Currie G2 thing.. I love how Currie is there to back up their product, [email protected] has always been on top of shit here and on the phone. I dunno if I could pick up the phone and talk to someone at G2.... but then again.. the important part of the G2 axle, the housing, is Currie.. the rest.. meh.. in time you will destroy it anyway..lol

· Vendor
351 Posts
Truth.

I'm sure you've done the homework on this.. what is the cost difference between what you would have to pay for a "Currie" and a "G2"?

If you were a 4 door we would be having a different discussion, FF Currie or FF Dynatrac.. but since you're a 2 door the SF is not a horrible choice as you are so much lighter and I don't think you would be bending the shafts like us 4 door pigs... though FF is a nice insurance policy and a nice price tag.

Back to the Currie G2 thing.. I love how Currie is there to back up their product, D[email protected] has always been on top of shit here and on the phone. I dunno if I could pick up the phone and talk to someone at G2.... but then again.. the important part of the G2 axle, the housing, is Currie.. the rest.. meh.. in time you will destroy it anyway..lol

· Registered
2,585 Posts
Thanks.

Hmm... 4WP's webpage states: Currie 35 spline axle shafts.
Don't believe that for a second Brad. The ones they are assembling in Compton and delivering to 4WP stores have G2 axles (at least they did earlier this year). There are 3 JKs with the G2 rockjocks in the rear here in Bakersfield, and they all were assembled with G2 shafts. One of them had to get repairs because the wizards at 4WP headquarters screwed up the gear install.

It just depends on how good of a deal you can get on the 4WP assembled axle.

Some G2 shafts are being made by Factory 10 (my son's G2 D44 shafts have G2 stickers over the Factory 10 ones). So the quality should be decent if you get a re-branded Factory10.

· Registered
1,585 Posts
I've had a Rear RJ D60 with the G2 internals for a year now with no problems so far. its SF with 35 spline axles and an ARB on a 2 dr, though I'm only on 33's for now (soon to go to 37's). For the price, I think the G2 axles are hard to beat. I personally would definitely recommend them.

· The Wheelin Man's Friend
8,661 Posts
I don't see how you can go wrong with the G2/Currie axle. If you've got a shop there local then you're 100% covered for anything that goes wrong without having to worry about how to ship it back to BFE.

Go for it and enjoy the peace of mind that ANY D60 is going to bring you.

Marcus

· Registered
266 Posts
I have the front and rear G2s and have had no issue with them at all. Got them for a great price from 4wheel parts. Only been on for a few months and am very happy with the purchase.

· Registered
580 Posts
If you were a 4 door we would be having a different discussion, FF Currie or FF Dynatrac.. but since you're a 2 door the SF is not a horrible choice as you are so much lighter and I don't think you would be bending the shafts like us 4 door pigs...
That and it is a COMMON misconception that the 2 dr weighs a lot less than the 4 door when in all honesty there isn't that big of a weight difference. Were finding that the "pigs" are goin further than the 2 doors and being able to climb the hills easier.

Base Curb Weight - 2dr.
Automatic Trans 4129 lbs.
Manual Trans 4104 lbs.

Base Curb Weight - 4dr
Automatic Trans 4340 lbs.
Manual Trans 4315 lbs.

· Premium Member
8,711 Posts
That and it is a COMMON misconception that the 2 dr weighs a lot less than the 4 door when in all honesty there isn't that big of a weight difference. Were finding that the "pigs" are goin further than the 2 doors and being able to climb the hills easier.

Base Curb Weight - 2dr.
Automatic Trans 4129 lbs.
Manual Trans 4104 lbs.

Base Curb Weight - 4dr
Automatic Trans 4340 lbs.
Manual Trans 4315 lbs.
When built out, the gap between 4 door and 2 door weights widen... I have crested well beyond 7000 pounds. It wasn't till I crested 6000 lbs that I started bending shafts.

Also, my rig was 45XX lbs wet and bone stock straight from dealer on a CAT certified scale.

· Premium Member
537 Posts
When built out, the gap between 4 door and 2 door weights widen... I have crested well beyond 7000 pounds. It wasn't till I crested 6000 lbs that I started bending shafts.

Also, my rig was 45XX lbs wet and bone stock straight from dealer on a CAT certified scale.
^^^ This

I was also going to mention that it's not at all unusual to see a 4 dr Jk wheeling with 4 occupants (and all their gear). More room means more gear and lots of added weight. This is why the FF option is becoming very popular (and why we're building the new PR80:bounce:).

· Registered
2,585 Posts
I hear that! my 2-door is just over 6000#, making it heavier than the 4-doors in my club and much heavier than my 4-door Tundra that I tow with!

4-doors own places like Moab, but 2-doors own places like Johnson Valley. Stretch a 2-door and you can own it all ;)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.