JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Broker by the Minute
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,556122,00.html?loomia_ow=t0:s0:a16:g12:r2:c0.288262:b28101346:z0

Yeah it's fox news again....

But the gist is this. The Government (I'm not talking about a party) has had several bills come up where they are looking for the off switch option for the Internet or certainly specific, compromised websites. So far there is nothing currently on the table to actually allow the government to take control but there has been and there is now a healthy debate about it.

I am not sure I'd like to see this come to fruition. Something like government take over of the news or newspapers. Bad idea.

However.... I imagine that in the end something like this will pass as it is in the interests of National Security to control what people know, hear and talk about.

Look for similar news about hacks and attacks on government websites if you want to see the evidence of a brewing "concern" that will eventually be proof of need. ;)

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
...it is in the interests of National Security to control what people know, hear and talk about.
I thought that it was in the interest of JK-F security...

Oh, well, guess I was wrong again...:shaking::thefinger:

·
Registered
irate4x4 dot com
1,795 Posts
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

·
Registered
irate4x4 dot com
1,795 Posts
this would have to be something bigger than our government wouldn't it being world wide and all?
no, it would just shut down US internet traffic like China and other countries already do

·
Broker by the Minute
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well sortof.... ARPANET (Department of Defense contractors and research organizations) was the foundation for the Internet and there still are parts that pass through government controlled sectors.

I think at this point it would be difficult for them but still not impossible if DHS or other agencies sees the need in the interests of national security. ;)

I am not sure how they would accomplish such a proposal but I find it alarming that such ideas are being discussed.

But then again you could just close your eyes to such things, assume it could never happen, and just go about as if this has no affect on your life. ;)

I just would rather not ever see the government have this type of control.

·
Comfortably Numb
12,273 Posts
you should google, Echelon and Carnivore (no, with a C, not our Karn). They've been operating for years The FBI uses/shares Carnivore and Echelon is shared by numerous Allies. Both are due to be replaced this year with new sniffer, tracker, cracker, hacker software. A buddy of mine who retired from the Air Force worked at the Echelon Installations in England and Australia.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Damn. I guess it's back to magazines.

This will lead to private subnets, which the Gov. doesn't want either. Broadband companies are probably lobbying hard against this. Private nets would be direction/dial up for the consumer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts