JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who else has a Full Traction set up? Does as bad your squeak as bad as mine? I just lube up all the fitting but the noise is driving my bats..t!!! I finding myself turning up the radio....:bawling:

·
Premium Member
15,302 Posts
The squeaks are probably coming from the bushing ends of the control arms and not the heim joints. If you scrolled down in the "ARB differential covers" thread (dont know why it's there?)...you can see Eugene's problem with the FT 3" Ultimate lift. I wonder if yours are starting to look like that? I sprayed some WD-40 on all of my RE (and stock) bushings, and at least temporarily, it seems to have helped just about eliminate the squeaks...(although I KNOW it will eventually return).

·
Registered
229 Posts
Urethane bushings require frequent lubrication or they bind and squeak. Look into some of the moly's as they seem to hold up better to water. Energy's grease is very similar to crisco.

If you use a spray on, that's fine. it tends to remove itself as easily as it is applied.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I saw the pics; freak'd me out. I'll do the WD-40 or maybe even some of that silicon spray lube to see if it helps. I'm going to the FT booth at the Off-Road Expo this weekend to see if I can get some questions answered!!!

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
they are going to tell you to take the heim apart and grease the hell out of them with white lithium grease. you can't grease these from the outside without taking them apart.

the crappy thing is that almost all full traction lifts for the jk sqeek like hell and there isn't much you can do for very long. only the moderators at jk-forum seem to be able to keep their FT lifts squeek-free for tens of thousands of miles.

·
Registered
45 Posts
i have the 3" econo kit, and i just wish my front springs weren't both bowing in and hitting a bolt on the frame (left) and the stop (right). replacements should have been here a week ago. this was after 8,000 miles.

·
Registered
899 Posts
i have the 3" econo kit, and i just wish my front springs weren't both bowing in and hitting a bolt on the frame (left) and the stop (right). replacements should have been here a week ago. this was after 8,000 miles.
are the springs set properly in place? The spring perch on the axle has an indent/notch that the bottom of the spring should set into. I had one of my front springs turn on me once from over extending and it then rubbed against the frame. It just needed to be turned back around and re-seated back into the perch.

·
Premium Member
15,302 Posts
I'm sure that TEEJ will chime in with his experience, but it sounds to me that the spring length is too long for the lift or that they might need to settle...depending on the mileage on them. I'm sure this is probably not the case, but my .2 centz anyway. If they were (along with the rears) both "bowing" towards the left side of the vehicle, then I would think that the axles need recentered...but that's prob not the case. You could see the drive side tire sticking out farther than the pass side anyway. No real opinion just waitin on dinner!

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Sqeeking Full Traction

It is when the squeeking stops you should worry.
When my bushings fell apart I called FT. They were honest and told me that they had received bad bushings from there supplier, and they sent me out a second set for free. Seems like they have replaced quite a few. Replaced them, and found out I got so more bad ones, big oops on their part. Again I called them, they apologized, and they would replace them again. I had to wait 2 weeks, because they were getting a totally new lot of bushings. They arrived today hooray! They go in this weekend, and I'll test them out the weekend after that. My feeling is that the articulation of this suspension might be more than these bushings can take. I am running 35's with Zenon flares, and I still stuff the tires. At least FT has backed their product, and they have been very good about making things right

·
Premium Member
15,302 Posts
Just to be clear...In my last post, I was referring to the spring problem that gtay14 was experiencing. The squeak issue is a totally different matter. I frequently hijack threads...lol. I am wondering if the "bowing" spring issue is that FT is running the same (longer) travel springs in their 3" econo kit as the 4" Ultimate kit. Surely that's not the case, but I can't figure why the springs would do that.

Eugene (FWIW)- That is very cool of Full Traction to compensate you...But they should be expected to. You spent your hard earned money (and 3x the amount of time that you should have), just to give them your business and positive feedback to boot. As I said before, you are a really nice guy with a lot of patience and understanding. You deserve every bit of customer service that they can give you. While the bad bushings may not be directly their "fault", it is their responsibility (if they are to be percieved as a top-notch company), to stand behind every part of what they put in a box and ship to their customers. I hope that these bushings take some more abuse and time before looking like the last ones. Good luck.

BTW- Someone posted earlier that they used a white lithium spray to lubricate their bushings. That sounds like an excellent idea as well. I recieved my Rubicon Express (replacement) bushings today and will SURE AS HE11 make sure to lube them up good before the install. Again Eugene...good luck!

·
Premium Member
15,302 Posts
The bushing ends of the control arms have no zerk fittings. The (heim) joint ends (where the control arms attach to the frame rails) do. The issues are with these bad bushings...and in FT case, REALLY bad bushings x2 or x 3.

The springs should certainly be shorter or at least have a different compression than the 4" kit, but being "bowed out on either side makes me wonder. If the 3" econo had adj control arms than that could also be a problem (not being long enough), but I don't think thats the case either.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Except for the Heim joints, yes. And I greased the he11 out of them. They claim it is the faulty material used in the production of the bushings themselves. For this set I am going to make it a point to make sure that it is not a mechanical issue, but from the way that they fracture, I think that the bushing is being pinched when the axle is flexed.

·
Premium Member
15,302 Posts
From the mechanical side of things...if it were a torque/ stress issue on the bushings (and the bushings were manuf correctly), then I would expect them to tear or rip more than fracture as suggested. Since they are rubber, the cracking/ fracturing seems more of an issue in the production/ manufacturing process...Possibly too hard/ brittle of a compound than they should have been. They seem to have very little flexibility to them, and that is definately not the way they should be. I wonder when the first (or 2nd) set of bushings were new...if they felt as flexible as the ones that you have now, or if they all feel (when new) like more of a harder compound (like polyurethane bushings do). The only way (I believe) that this could be an customer related error, would be if you had mistakenly hit them with brake cleaner or something similar- that would have caused them to dry out prematurely. My RE replacements thet I recieved today feel supple and flexible...like you could bounce them off the floor. Not sure, but possibly they are torsional rubber. Regardless...they will be lubed excessively before going into the control arms.

·
Registered
229 Posts
From the mechanical side of things...if it were a torque/ stress issue on the bushings (and the bushings were manuf correctly), then I would expect them to tear or rip more than fracture as suggested. Since they are rubber, the cracking/ fracturing seems more of an issue in the production/ manufacturing process...Possibly too hard/ brittle of a compound than they should have been. They seem to have very little flexibility to them, and that is definately not the way they should be. I wonder when the first (or 2nd) set of bushings were new...if they felt as flexible as the ones that you have now, or if they all feel (when new) like more of a harder compound (like polyurethane bushings do). The only way (I believe) that this could be an customer related error, would be if you had mistakenly hit them with brake cleaner or something similar- that would have caused them to dry out prematurely. My RE replacements thet I recieved today feel supple and flexible...like you could bounce them off the floor. Not sure, but possibly they are torsional rubber. Regardless...they will be lubed excessively before going into the control arms.

FYI Rubber and urethane are completely different materials with very different mechanical properties.

Urethane when stressed splits relatively easily and it squeaks. It is stiffer and deflects less than most rubber bushings.

·
Premium Member
15,302 Posts
I completely realize that they are different. I'm saying that there are different rubber compounds. Some that feel harder...like polyurethane , and others that feel softer...as these SHOULD feel. I am not suggesting that they are one in the same, or that FT used poly instead of rubber. Just trying to figure out why the bushings cracked and failed as if they were a hard er compound than they should have been. As I said before, when my RE rubber bushings failed, they began to rip/ tear- which is completely different than what happened to the FT bushings- as those cracked and fell apart.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.