Votes: 9 32.1%
  • Pure unadulterated bacon....

Votes: 12 42.9%
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know poles are semi-gay but I did add bacon.

Several, some even respected on here, have mention they noticed an increase of MPG after install of full skids. Honestly, I had always thought it was an "or" situation... weight of armor w/less MPG or less GVW w/more MPG.

If anybody has some experience they would like to share I'd like to hear it especially if you want to give the estimated increase. Hell, if there was no decrease I'd be happy.

Got me thinking a full aluminum set would be the best for me. Looks like you'd gain protection, only add a few pounds, and gain MPG to boot. :smokin:

I know the secret of the lack of economy for the jeep is aerodynamics or, the lack there of. I'm just really curious to the feedback here.

·
Registered
461 Posts
My JK has become such a fatty that I'll never get good gas mileage again.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
^^^^ X2

·
Registered
11,063 Posts
I've read this before but have no first hand experience. Seems like PhilD was involved in the discussion. Maybe he will chime in on the subject. Thanks for the bacon option in your poll. And yeah poles are gay unless they are your own;)
^^^^^^^^^ So, do ya' claim an increase in MPG????
looks like he's just claiming to manufacture skids. IDK

·
Registered
172 Posts
We have yet to do any MPG comparison's and do not claim that we will increase Fuel Mileage.

I do know that we offer one of the lightest kits on the market with great protection.

All of our skid plates are made from Ballistic Grade Aluminum and engineered for maximum strength and performance without adding excessive weight.

PM me for info, this is not the right forum for me to be advertising, but I can offer information.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I have the RROR full aluminum skid package plus a custom skid that RROR made for my auxilliary fuel tank. According to Kenny at RROR, the weight difference between my skids, including the custom skid, and their steel skids, which wouldn't include the custom skids is about 100lbs @ 75lbs for aluminum and @ 175lbs for steel. The skids are 1/4" aluminum. Not sure which alloy.

I haven't noticed any change in mpg. I have a 5.7VVT in mine, so that may make a difference one way or the other. BTW, the skids paid for themselves through protecting the tranny pan in Moab, shortly after they were installed. The 545rfe pan is exposed and plastic, it needed the skid! Here's a photo - the auxilliary tank and skid are at the right rear of the photo, the charcoal cannister has been relocated behind the axle. Also, the engine/tranny skid is dropped 1" at the rear to clear my Hemi exhaust cross over pipe, and that is why there are the two round bolt head protectors. The skids would come with dome headed allen bolts there but for the need to drop the rear end of the tranny/engine skid on my Jeep:

JPK

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
All of our skid plates are made from Ballistic Grade Aluminum and engineered for maximum strength and performance without adding excessive weight.

PM me for info, this is not the right forum for me to be advertising, but I can offer information.
You have a yellow star so why wouldnt this be the right forum for you to advertise?

What grade of aluminum do you use?

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
^^^^^^ Dude it is my thread and I don't mind, let us know what you have.

Honestly, I like capability and if there are not any trade-offs here the margin call is pretty damn easy. To armor up with steel or aluminum and not lose hi-way milage would be awesome.

Mine is not a DD, far from it, but I plan on taking it with a small trailer on a road trip when me and the wife get back stateside. She's from Romania and I want to show her the American landscape. The rub is I have a F350 crew cab that is great for road trips and I get 17 -18 mpg easy, plenty of fuel (100 gallons), and comfort. I expect less from the jeep.....:shaking: less mileage and comfort.

If I could expect a slight increase from the 63 lbs of protection that would tip the scale for me to spend the $$$

·
Registered
172 Posts
I can't say whether the skids do act in positive aerodynamics and increase fuel mileage. Wish I could, would make me a fortune!!

As you can see from the image I posted, we cover all of the vital stuff and make sure you are not damaging those delicate parts. A little help with getting back from the trail!

Take a look at our website, http://www.asfir4x4.com or shoot me an email: [email protected] for a full list of products we offer for the JK.

Now back to the regularly scheduled program.

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
I can't say whether the skids do act in positive aerodynamics and increase fuel mileage. Wish I could, would make me a fortune!!

As you can see from the image I posted, we cover all of the vital stuff and make sure you are not damaging those delicate parts. A little help with getting back from the trail!

Take a look at our website, http://www.asfir4x4.com or shoot me an email: [email protected] for a full list of products we offer for the JK.

Now back to the regularly scheduled program.

Seems like when comparing your product and prices to others and you using only 5052 grade aluminium and others are using either 7075 or 6065 while most other companies also sell skids for at least 20% less

Example an aluminium evap skid from River Raider cost about $100 after shipping and all yours before shipping $190

Back on topic most that have skids say that it does slightly add to MPG but not enough to post all postive about it

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
I did :laughing: I mean its not "scientific" and shit but I cleared my MPG thing when I left norfolk and the same when I left Crash's shop. it was almost a 2mpg diffrence.

But what is better, a turd sandwich or a turd sandwich with bacon is kinda subjective :laughing: But I like bacon :D

·
Registered
172 Posts
Seems like when comparing your product and prices to others and you using only 5052 grade aluminium and others are using either 7075 or 6065 while most other companies also sell skids for at least 20% less

Example an aluminium evap skid from River Raider cost about $100 after shipping and all yours before shipping $190

Back on topic most that have skids say that it does slightly add to MPG but not enough to post all postive about it
The higher the number on the Aluminum does not make it a better grade, it only indicates the alloy variance and manufacturing process.

The 5xxx is a work hardenable material and not so much heat treatable. Which means that when we put our bends in the skid plates we are added a ton of strength to the structure.

That coupled with 3D modeling of stresses and vehicle placement points allow for an exceptionally engineered product.

Or products have been in Service with the British SAS, Israeli Special Forces and a number of other specialized military divisions for over 30 years. We may be a new name in the US, but our products have a long history with extreme duty.

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
Who uses 7075 for skids? The only place I heard the use of 7075 is in Rock Krawler's PRO kits.
There are two companies that have stuff in the works that may be out by the end of the year.

The higher the number on the Aluminum does not make it a better grade, it only indicates the alloy variance and manufacturing process.

The 5xxx is a work hardenable material and not so much heat treatable. Which means that when we put our bends in the skid plates we are added a ton of strength to the structure.

That coupled with 3D modeling of stresses and vehicle placement points allow for an exceptionally engineered product.

Or products have been in Service with the British SAS, Israeli Special Forces and a number of other specialized military divisions for over 30 years. We may be a new name in the US, but our products have a long history with extreme duty.
Thanks for the info, I am sure if you post some damage shots/ wear and tear you will have a lot of interest on here as there are a lot of us that are looking to change our skids soon.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts