JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been carrying Fuelpax 3.5ga. These are thinner walled versions of Rotopax. They bulge noticeably at the bottom with heat and altitude...build up a lot of pressure inside that I release at each stop. Im worried that with repeated stresses like this, the case will crack and leak or worse burst. Any experience with these can?

Is there a cap that will fit these that allows pressure to balance, both ways, without me manually doing it at every stop?. That would at least reduce the repeated bulging stress.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
“Notes:
Please always remember to vent the fuel pack once per day if the elevation or temperature changes significantly.”

You may eventually learn when thermal and/or pressure differences have an effect.
Fluid level will also effect expansion/compression and you must leave an air gap to account for fluid expansion/retraction.

Bottom line, just eyeball that thing every once in a while or go buy a jerry can and fuggedaboudit.

Couple tips:
If it's...
...ballooned in the morning, vent it.
...ballooned in the evening, leave it alone.
...collapsed in the morning, leave it alone.
...collapsed in the evening, vent it.
...going through an hurricane, tornado or severe thunderstorm, vent it.
By “vent it”, I merely mean equalize the pressure. It should otherwise always be securely sealed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
where should or what brand Jerry can should I get with good quality welds? All I hear about the Wavian is the horrible nozzel.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
If you mean Wavian's steel nozzle, that's a gasket issue that surely has been resolved.
If you mean the CARB compliant nozzle that the can comes with, f*ck California. Get Wavian's steel nozzle.

The alternative is an old school, surplus jerry can with the round opening but it'll prolly need a new gasket, too...and maybe some refinishing.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I've had metal jerry cans swell and collapse if not vented on a regular basis.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts