JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is most likely a n00b question, be warned.

The time has come where my JK is begging for a lift kit. I've been putting it off for too long.
I'm thinking of a 4 inch for now. I don't mud/trail too often but when I do the trails around my area can be pretty demanding. The JK is also my daily driver.

My question is how much does fuel economy change with a 4" lift?
I'm averaging 13.5L/100km (+/- 17.4 MPG) in the summer and up to 16L/100km (14.7MPG) in winter.

I've searched the boards and found nothing, am I looking in the wrong place?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
128 Posts
There are many other questions that need to be answered first. What size tires are you going to run? Is it a manual or automatic? What gearing do you have? How heavy is your right foot? Blah Blah Blah......Sorry bro but it is a Jeep. This means poor gas mileage out of the box. Build it, wheel it, and have fun with it. Screw the gas mileage.

By the way, I am running a 3.5" RK lift (www.krawloff-road.com) with 35s on a 4 door Rubicon and get about 14.5 mpg on highway and about 13 around town.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
It will go down! 14-16 at least, but like everyone said, lots of factors play in and how you drive period.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Riding on stock rims with 32 or 33's right now. Auto transmission.
Might just start off with 2.5 TF w/ shocks for the time being and upgrade if I feel the necessity in the future.

Thanks for the fast input!:beer:

·
Premium Member
3,068 Posts
2.5" TF coil lift, 37" Toyo MT, 5.13 Gears, 6speed and conservative driving nets me about 16-16.5mpg mixed........65 miles daily.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I put my lift on about 3 weeks ago, Rock Krawler 3.5 long arm and am running 37" KM2s I went from stock @17mpg to down to 16mpg on highway Not much of a loss. When the stock muffler was off I got about 18mpg which was funny. for what its worth, i have a cold air intake and drive pretty conservatively. I would defiately get a better performance muffler too, it seems to help.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I get 15-16 with 2.5" of lift on 33's with the 373, the superchips helped a lot.

·
Registered
426 Posts
2.5 lift and 33x12.5 tires. Drove all interstate from N Indiana to NE Georgia last week and averaged 16.4 MPG. 3:73's and auto. Heavy ass Rock Hard stubby front bumper and winch and about 300lbs of chit packed in the JK with me. Drove between 60 and 75 MPH. Only mods are Banks COI and Magnaflow exhaust.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
On mine, 3.5" RK lift with steel bumpers at each end and the spare inside (that alone picked up .25 MPG), with 6-speed, 35" KM2's (EAT gas!) and 4.88's, and I average 15.8 MPG. Not awful, I suppose.

On my wifey's old rig, we had the 6-speed, 3.73's, and 33" A/T's and a set of 4-door springs & shocks, and we averaged 19.7 MPG. Tried her tires on mine for a week, and I got 17.3. So tires matter big time- Mark W.

·
Registered
94 Posts
IMHO the biggest MPG hit i seen was from the tires. I have a 2"BB, I was runing the Bridgestone Duelers AT's(255/70/18) . I was getting 22-23 mpg on the highway. I recently upgraded to the 275/65/18 GY MTR's(much heavier tire) , Now im averaging 18.5 on the highway.

Im running 3.73's gears.

You will get a slight more drag from the lift, but the bigger the footprint the more it takes push your brick on wheels typically.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have RK 3.5 and Goodyear 35" mud terrain tires and have lost about 80-100 miles to a tank of gas used to get about 400 now I am getting around 300 worth it though

·
Registered
402 Posts
I live in Pennsylvania but work in New Jersey. When I get gas in PA I get 1 Mpg better than when I get gas in NJ. This is no BullShit and I have tested it many times. So the MPG thing is nonsense.

If you lift it the MPG will go down. If you get bigger tires it will go down. If you drive hard it will go down. If you idle alot it will go down.

Do a simple search of this sight and you will see that people get anywhere from 11-17 MPG on this forum with the standard 35's or 37's that seem common and whatever gears. Its all in the other (100) things that contribute to MPG's. How and where you drive is the factor.

That being said I put 18000 miles on my Jeep in its first year. 1 MPG isnt huge but if you think its BS do the math at 3.70 a gallon and mail me a check for that amount. PM me for the address.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts