JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
Shit. that sucks! I'm more and more tempted to just never lock my doors. They are usually unlocked, but not always..About the only thing worth something, to me, is my winch remote.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I know mine isn't nearly as bad, but someone snagged my CB radio antenna couple days ago while I was parked at work.. Fuck thieves for sure!

Best of luck.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
I've left my jeep open for days with no top, no doors, and with currently my Go Pro on the dash....nobody ever messes with it in my neighborhood.

My guess is between the carrying of guns to and from the Jeep, the certain variety of stickers I have, and having parked this in my Driveway once....they pretty much figure its not worth the off chance that they'll get caught....:laughing:

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
The only reason i lock mine at all is on the off chace that some dick JK owner (or more likely some one who knows what they are and knows that they could get a few $$ for them) would try and take my half door uppers

·
Registered
359 Posts
I stopped locking the doors on all my vehicles a long time ago. If a thief wants anything inside they will get it one way or another. At least with unlocked doors they don't cause any major damage getting in.

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
Damn Mike, that sucks.... sorry to hear. since moving to the apartment, i try to make sure my JK is parked under the street lamp out front. and since the back windows are out for the summer, i dont bother to lock the doors.

a few years ago, while parked at the firehouse on a night shift, the heap was doorless and some damn fool broke into the glove box, destroying it. the funny thing was that, at the time, the only thing in there was my owners manual. everything else was in the center console and they didnt even try to open it. instead of getting another plastic glove box, i got the tuffy one. everything valuable is locked up in there

·
Official Monkey Business
12,215 Posts
Too bad you didn't catch the fucker who did it. So far I've been lucky.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
i am still split on the lock/no lock thing. my mom always said a locked door keeps the honest people honest... you cant stop a thief but you can stop some punk thats just walking through the parking lot trying doors.. so i dont know, some times i do, some times i dont.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Damn Mike, that sucks.... sorry to hear. since moving to the apartment, i try to make sure my JK is parked under the street lamp out front. and since the back windows are out for the summer, i dont bother to lock the doors.

a few years ago, while parked at the firehouse on a night shift, the heap was doorless and some damn fool broke into the glove box, destroying it. the funny thing was that, at the time, the only thing in there was my owners manual. everything else was in the center console and they didnt even try to open it. instead of getting another plastic glove box, i got the tuffy one. everything valuable is locked up in there

I actually had somebody steal only my manual out of glovebox...had a checkbook and some fairly expensive sunglasses in center console ...ya criminals suck

·
Registered
404 Posts
Yeah, I've always gone by "Locks keep the honest thieves out" :thefinger:

I usually lock mine. I figure I pay to have a $0 comprehensive insurance deductible for something. :cwm13:

But more often then not, I don't really keep anything worthwhile in there anyway.

·
Registered
278 Posts
As unfortunate as having your vehicle broken into, the lesson of the day is, "Leave nothing valuable, inside your vehicle. Out of sight, out of mind."

·
Registered
365 Posts
I stopped locking the doors on all my vehicles a long time ago. If a thief wants anything inside they will get it one way or another. At least with unlocked doors they don't cause any major damage getting in.
A buddy just had his side and rear windows stolen out of the back of his JK this weekend. He took the top down while out and about and just layed the windows in the cargo area, came out from a store and they were gone.

Back when I had my 95 YJ with soft top and aftermarket alarm I never locked my doors. At the time, aholes were going around and slashing the door/side windows looking for sub boxes and amplifiers. I figured/hoped they'd open the door and find nothing rather than cut my top. Came out to my alarm sounding many nights but never had the top cut. :th_pray:

First day at the police academy in 97, they went down our line of personal cars in the parking lot and tried all the handles as well as inspected for violations and of course found my Jeep "unsecured". They tore me a new asshole until I explained why and then said "Oh" that makes sense...........still had to do a shit-ton of extra pushups just to break balls LOL

·
Registered
119 Posts
Philly is the worst. In all the years ive had Jeeps, never locked the doors, they'd just cut the top. You name it, Change from cup holders, old boots, dirty work clothes and my favorites, half eaten hoagie and SOME, not all the cds in glove box, Elvis Costello wasn't to their liking f'n music critics.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I don't usually lock my doors for the same soft top preservation reasons. Don't have much of value in the Jeep anyway so it doesn't really matter. A phone charger is much cheaper to replace than a top.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
A buddy just had his side and rear windows stolen out of the back of his JK this weekend. He took the top down while out and about and just layed the windows in the cargo area, came out from a store and they were gone.

And that is my biggest fear. :flipoff: thieves

1 - 18 of 18 Posts