1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found these 2 threads on the subject but still have some questions:

http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35321
http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?p=299958

I have never changed diff fluid but it seems stupid easy. If I am going switch and go with a synthetic like Royal Purple 75/90 in front and rear (would you use that in both?), do I need to take the covers off and clean the inards or just drain and reservice? Also, do I need an additive or not? Do I fill to the top on both front and back diffs....or do I fill 2.7 pts in front and 4.75 pts in the back....or is that the same thing? I have searched but seem to find conflicting info.

·
Registered
8,651 Posts
No additive if your using syth fluid, thr rubi doesnt have LSD. 75/90 is fine if your not towing. if your running stock covers fill them up to the hole and youll be fine. You dont need to remove the covers but it never hurts to take a look and make sure everything is GTG.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Make sure you put in the recommended amount of fluid in, even if you have to fill through the breather hole. Mine calls for almost 2.5 qts and I could only get 1.5 in through the diff cover.

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
You may as well upgrade the covers while there, if you can find a place with Solids in stock they are a great deal at $65 a pop.
But either way, I am running Royal Purple and it was worth every cent. But to save you some cash :D go find the Advance Auto parts code thread on here, order the Royal purple online and pick up at the store. By breaking it into 3 quarts order at a time I saved $25 off.

And get MORE than you need. With my Solid rear cover I think I have like 4 or 5 QUARTS in there :laughing:

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
So I need to change mine this weekend. I have an OX locker, so obviously I have a non-stock cover. The fill hole is higher on the OX cover. How do I know how much to put in?

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
In the rear you don't need to be too worried about over filling it (like doc hinted at). The front on the other hand, I just had to find a happy medium. That, or fill the shit out of it, let it spit out the breather, when it stops your good to go. I actually have a diet mountain dew bottle/over flow can zip tied under the hood to catch the fluid. On a more serious note, filling the front to the manufacture spec will work. Im not sure what that is but I know its been posted on here somewhere.

So I need to change mine this weekend. I have an OX locker, so obviously I have a non-stock cover. The fill hole is higher on the OX cover. How do I know how much to put in?

Vick

·
Registered
931 Posts
when i changed mine i went with lucas 75/90. it was like 5-6 bucks cheaper than the royal purple. i ended up getting 3 32oz bottles of the lucas and used 2.75 between the front and rear of mine. was the first time i changed it and boy was it dirty! :shaking::beer:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts