JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my three 6" Eagle Eye Spot lights arrived last week, and I'm now trying to draw up some plans to mount them on the front bumper over the winch. I figure I'll make up (or have something fab'd) that will come up from the warn bumper on an angle from around the base of the headlights to about 3" above the winch. This means my driving lights will stick up above the hood by ~2.5-4 inches. Ideally this mount will be closer to the hood/grill so that when I eventually get a brush guard (or something of that nature), I have room so there's somewhat of a gap between the guard and my lights.

So my question is this... should I plan on making/getting something that can be easily removed (ie a few bolts on the arms (removing the arms from the base - which is attached to the bumper)? I'm concerned that if it's too close to the grill, I won't be able to get that out if needed.

How often have you had to remove your grill? Why would you remove your grill?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Once last spring to install a grill insert and will again soon to upgrade the headlights that have always sucked. As for normal maintenance, I guess that would only leave occasional light bulb changes.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I've removed my grill twice, once when I tinted my blinker lenses and another to paint my headlight bezels.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
so far the only reason ive removed my grille is for mods. other than that, bulb changes as mentioned above would most likely be the only maintenance issue related to moving it...

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
mine has been out probably 50 times
seems like everything you do up there it has to come out
change headlight bulbs, swap bumpers, winch, etc etc

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
mine has also been out dozens of times for various uses. It is nice to be able to pop out.

·
Registered
805 Posts
In ten months I removed it three times: (1) to put on a grille insert; (2) to install an air horn; and (3) to replace the factory light bulbs with SilverStars.

Before its 1-year anniversary it will be coming off one more time to install the new bumper and winch.

·
Registered
414 Posts
1. Installed SilverStar headlight bulbs
2. Upgraded headlights to Cibie E code lights (didn't like SilverStars)
3. installed mesh grille
4. replaced burned out turn signal bulb
5. replaced burned out headlight bulb
6. Installed bumper mounted driving lights.
still pending. install front bumper and winch

Time span so far. 15 months

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah... went and talked to my welder buddy who's going to help... The base will be on and not too easily removable. The arms and top however will be able to come right off with a couple bolts. I'll just need to have some sort of disconnect plug setup for the wiring for the lights - but that's not a major issue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts