JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I turn the front end shakes, it just started yesterday on the way home from work, has this happened to anyone and what was it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
378 Posts
When I turn the front end shakes, it just started yesterday on the way home from work, has this happened to anyone and what was it

Front axle U joints. Check track bar, tighten everything to spec. Wheel balance.

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
139 Posts
Really? That is like saying when I go to the bathroom it smells.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Thanks

No sweat Mac. Have them eyeball your bearings just to be thorough. Notice it was your first post. C'mon back and stay awhile. We don't bite. You'll learn more about your awesome Jeep and be more self sufficient in the process! Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Death rattle, Google it, it's common to Jeeps, I had it 2 months ago, replaced my ball joints now I'm fine.
I believe when you lift and put on larger tires it puts more stress on the front end, someone with more experience please correct me if I'm wrong

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
378 Posts
Death rattle, Google it, it's common to Jeeps, I had it 2 months ago, replaced my ball joints now I'm fine.
I believe when you lift and put on larger tires it puts more stress on the front end, someone with more experience please correct me if I'm wrong

I sincerely doubt that in this case. From what little we know concerning the OPs vehicle condition and symptoms, the simple act of turning the wheel while in motion causing mild to intermediate vibration does NOT suggest the infamous death "wobble". I'd recommend YouTube videos to familiarize yourself with the issue. Review the modifications, steering assembly shaking as if in some violent seizure, a certain speed, and the driver peeing himself.
I'm willing to bet the farm that if he simply troubleshoots the components mentioned, he'll be floating through the corners in no time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I sincerely doubt that in this case. From what little we know concerning the OPs vehicle condition and symptoms, the simple act of turning the wheel while in motion causing mild to intermediate vibration does NOT suggest the infamous death "wobble". I'd recommend YouTube videos to familiarize yourself with the issue. Review the modifications, steering assembly shaking as if in some violent seizure, a certain speed, and the driver peeing himself.
I'm willing to bet the farm that if he simply troubleshoots the components mentioned, he'll be floating through the corners in no time.

Thanks, I'm relatively new, mine happened after a trip to an off road park

·
Registered
378 Posts

No sweat. I just replaced stock BJs on 35s. Failure for me was a popping metallic noise. Pulling the knuckle/Inspection, and the original wheel test before had made me a believer.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Tierhog you are right. The term Death Wobble gets thrown around a lot. If you didn't pee yourself then you haven't experienced one.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Tierhog you are right. The term Death Wobble gets thrown around a lot. If you didn't pee yourself then you haven't experienced one.
Damn straight! Bwahahahahahah

·
Super Moderator
6,181 Posts

welcome to JKOwners.

As was mentioned, many factors can result In your symptoms. If it helps, the first 4-5 Offroading trails I ran when my 4 door JK was new way back when resulted in similar symptoms due to me slightly tweaking the draglink just enough it needed adjustment to make the ETC not freak out and think my jeep was in some skid but not at all visible. This is pretty common on the JKs . Does your little traction control alert light near speedo illuminate when it does the shimmy in turns? Adjust the draglink sleeve a bit to center wheel but also check that no rocks pebbles or dried mud have lodged between the dust shield of your front brakes. Likewise, mud that allowed one of the caliper pistons to work unimpeded could dry and now be causing interference. The only in a right turn tells me maybe the swaybar endlinks could be bent likewise balljoints could be a deeper culprit.
Likewaise, mud that has been allowed to dry adds potentially balance interfering weight to previously balanced wheels. Wash it, keep it simple to start diagnosing and ask questions when you need to.:jeep2:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts