JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I put JKS quicker disconnects on my JKU and as expected i tore the front driveline boot trying to see just how much flex i could get outta my Clayton lift. Ive called 4 dealerships around here now and they all told me I have to buy a WHOLE new front driveline. Who else has this happened to? Did you end finding another boot other than a dealership?

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
There is a small piece of the transmission pan that the DS will hit you may want to grind that off so if you get a new stock DS that it wont happen again.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Don't rush out to buy a new front driveshaft unless you have a extra 400 to 500 bucks. It will last a long time with a torn boot. Mine has been off for a long long time. Though you will need one eventuality. And with the auto's you really do need a aftermarket shaft so it will clear the transmission pan when fully articulated. They are smaller in diameter.

And the search feature is our friend.

Sent from a Android on Tapatalk..

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am tracking down parts as we speak. They just sent me the wrong factory clamps so the dealership is working with me to figure it out. I plan on rebuilding them. The boot is available as well at the dealer. It is called a propeller shaft boot... Dealer part software is funky....

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
For 4 or 5 hunderd get a real shaft I would look around for a used take off shaft. I have a set in NJ for a 2dr one has a small rip cant remember witch one. Unsub:skull:

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
The boot is available as well at the dealer. It is called a propeller shaft boot... Dealer part software is funky....
Hmm, really? My dealer told me it wasn't available. Please get a part number.

But as for going without the boot, I've been without mine for nearly 40k miles! I clean it and lube it periodically, and once even unbolted the side at the tcase and really cleaned it and checked the movement, it was in great shape still.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
I too tore my boot and the dealership also told me I had to buy a new shaft at almost $600.
I bought a Tom Woods for much less and never have to worry about a torn boot again.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for all the replies. I talked to 4 dealerships today and they all told me id have to get a new shaft, whick i thought was BS. On top of that a new one here is 780.00! i Think i saw tom woods for 449.00. i will just run it without a boot for a while. then look into getting a woody.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Don't replace it because the dust boot tore.....:shaking::shaking::shaking:

Your driveshaft is fine. just keep it greased.:beer:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
On 4xshaft.com a tom woods drive shaft for a JK is 449.00 with a 1310 series yoke front or back. The 1350 series is 649.00

·
Registered
346 Posts
Don't replace it because the dust boot tore.....:shaking::shaking::shaking:

Your driveshaft is fine. just keep it greased.:beer:
This is correct.

Mine has been gone for a while. I took it apart and greased it the other day. Is perfectly fine unless you love submersing the vehicle in mud.

Make sure you mark it before you pull it apart though or your balance could be out!!

·
Registered
13,230 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Buy a shock boot and cut the ends of then slid it over an clamp or zip tie it on. :D
I had that idea too, but was told that a shock mount isn't hard enough material to withstand being spun on a driveshaft without getting out of round, throwing off the balance, and eventually just flying off. It's not meant for that.

Also, keep in mind that you're just going to rip it off again the minute you flex the driveshaft.

Just keep lubing yours. I've got 47k on mine, almost all of it without a boot. so far so good, KNOCK WOOD! :bounce:

PS That boot won't be as tight, and will collect dirt and mud inside anyway. I was using zip ties on my stock rear boot when the clamp broke. it got dirt inside it and was also slid out of position periodically when I went over stuff and it rubbed. The only difference is you don't have easy access to clean it because the boot is on there giving you a false sense of security.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts