JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for advice on front drive shafts for my rubicon unlimited with 4.5 inch lift and 35 in tires. I am leaning towards Adams drive shafts. Any thoughts on Adams or any recommendations besides Adams? Adams or Tom Woods? Please help!

·
Registered
149 Posts
I just put a Tom Woods front drive line in last weekend. It's a little on pricey but the workmanship was great. Was shipped super fast too, ordered it Friday afternoon and was delivered Tuesday. And that's with them building it too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your input. There is a $100 dollar difference between Tom Woods and Adams. I know you get what you pay for but I have heard pretty good things about Adams. Just want to be sure. If Tom Woods are that great I am willing to pay. At the same time if I could save $100 dollars and get just as good performance and durability, why not.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have always used Tom Woods and always received a quality product and great customer service from them. They have been around a long time building custom shafts. Aside from Adams also consider Tatton.

·
Premium Member
5,705 Posts
Adams or check out the newer Krawl off road shafts.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'll give a vote for JE Reel.....

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Adams on my JK and LJ and happy with them. No problems. Just make sure you get a good measurement using whatever method the mfg you go with expects.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Similar spec as the OP.

Went with Tom Woods. Great service and advice from them.

Ended up getting the 1350 instead of the 1310 which is overkill for my current setup but will work well in the future when I upgrade around it. Peace of mind.

·
Vendor
2,326 Posts
Adams or check out the newer Krawl off road shafts.
Thank you sir!

Yes we build all our shafts in house. We custom build them to the specs of YOUR JK. Our shafts are not a "off the shelf" type shaft. We also use all Spicer joints for a good strong shaft.

Let us know and we will get you taken care of!

-Jason

·
Registered
71 Posts
Front Driveshafts

There is a discount for Tom Woods that gets you 10-15% off. I have it at home or can search for it in "modified" forum under Rock Krawler tech support thread, that's where I found it.

·
A JKO DICK
3,689 Posts
Thank you sir!

Yes we build all our shafts in house. We custom build them to the specs of YOUR JK. Our shafts are not a "off the shelf" type shaft. We also use all Spicer joints for a good strong shaft.

-Jason
Your shafts look interesting. Seems like the 1350 front would allow for more caster than most. Do they use sealed or greaseable joints?

·
Premium Member
5,705 Posts
That's one thing I'm still not grasping.
How a 1350 joint can operate at a steeper angle.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thank you sir!

-Jason
Interested in the difference of maximum angle as well.. Is that just how they are built or do all 1350 double cardon joints allow this?

·
Super Moderator
6,179 Posts
get a Woody FTW & not wondering about quality ; nothing wrong w/ Adams or Tatton but Tom Woods takes care of his customers , even emailing me all manner of useful insight and help personally while I was awaiting delivery and even checked in w/ me a month or so after I had installed it simply to follow-up w/ a customer . Who the f*ck does that anymore ?!
plus , the shafts I replaced my OEM turd nuggets w/are works of mechanical art that I grease once or twice a year and never have to think about aside from those maintenance sessions . I'd buy from them again and highly recommend ....

·
Registered
208 Posts
I bought JE Reel for my 2 door. Had a bad vibration after installing. I took them to a local driveshaft shop. they had to cut one apart and reweld because it was so crooked. Both shafts where way out of balance. Cost me $87 to fix what should have been a good set of shafts.

·
Vendor
2,326 Posts
Your shafts look interesting. Seems like the 1350 front would allow for more caster than most. Do they use sealed or greaseable joints?
Thank you. Yes they are greaseable.

The reason on 1350's have a higher operating angle is because the joint is larger, more heavy duty. This not only makes the hardware larger (to take more abuse) but also allows from more room in the joint. This allows the joint to be able to operate at a stepper angle. Our 1350's have a operating angle of 32* and our 1310 has a operating angle of 23*.

-Jason

1 - 20 of 20 Posts