JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else had the stock hard plastic boot, tear-apart and self-destruct? I think it is because of the 4" lift and the fact that the shaft has to extend more then stock, and the boot cant handle it.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Drive Shaft Boot

Yep

I had mine replaced by the dealer last week.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've descovered a cool fix, that works great. I bought a motorcycle innertube (rear, 19").
Removed the drive shaft and marked both sections (to get it back in phase). Pulled the two sections apart and cleaned the areas and re-lubed them.

Cut a 8" long section out of the innertube. Then, stretched the innertube over the outside of the large diameter of the shaft, put the two sections of drive shaft back in phase, then slipped the inner tube over the smaller part of shaft.

It fits snug enough where no cable-ties are needed. :smokin:

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Do you have an auto? If so, I think you'll find that the factory boot on the shaft gets destroyed by making contact with the tranny pan when flexed up. The boot at the t-case end may also fail due to the angle. The driveshaft will also make contact with the tranny skid plate when flexing, and the skid plate needs to be trimmed a little.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I've descovered a cool fix, that works great. I bought a motorcycle innertube (rear, 19").
Removed the drive shaft and marked both sections (to get it back in phase). Pulled the two sections apart and cleaned the areas and re-lubed them.

Cut a 8" long section out of the innertube. Then, stretched the innertube over the outside of the large diameter of the shaft, put the two sections of drive shaft back in phase, then slipped the inner tube over the smaller part of shaft.

It fits snug enough where no cable-ties are needed. :smokin:
Glad to here it worked!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you have an auto? If so, I think you'll find that the factory boot on the shaft gets destroyed by making contact with the tranny pan when flexed up. The boot at the t-case end may also fail due to the angle. The driveshaft will also make contact with the tranny skid plate when flexing, and the skid plate needs to be trimmed a little.
Yes, I've got an auto, and built 4 other JK's with the same boot issue's. I agree with all of the above, I'm just getting the most life outta the stock parts, before investing in the BBB shafts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Moto tube

I was wondering what kind of bike bike the tube used was for? Honda kawi suzuki. I'm going to try it out while I have my new "Boot Free" shafts made.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
exactly what this man said. he is very informative.

·
Heat'n and a beat'n...
3,954 Posts
When my drive shaft boot got tored all to pieces, i ran without the boot for a long time before i changed the drive shaft. It was still going strong when i replaced it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
OK so I tried the Moto Tube trick and the second I hit highway speeds the tube disapeared. All that was left were the two clamps still tight as could be. Just going to save for drive shaft to remove the problem all together.

·
Registered
931 Posts
i've been running with no ds boot since moab of this year. tore it off in the middle of hells revenge. now it just sits in my tool box. :beer:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think from drive down the hiway and the drive shaft heating it up, it acted like a bike balloon and blew up. It sounded like someone had shot a 50 cal. under my jeep. I am working on getting driveshafts for both the front and back. It's a pain in the a**. I have been running boot free and just kept it clean and lubed. had no problems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Front driveshaft boot

The part is made by Spicer and has a Spicer number on it so why can you not buy just the boot. Spicer would not sell one to me even though they said it was a good number? Why will the Jeep dealersnot sell them either?

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
The part is made by Spicer and has a Spicer number on it so why can you not buy just the boot. Spicer would not sell one to me even though they said it was a good number? Why will the Jeep dealersnot sell them either?
1) Holy necrothread!!

2) Ask Chrysler. We can't speak for them.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Lol back from the dead! My shaft has no boot on it either, but i haven't had any problems with it. I have a broken tcase linkage and my ball joints need to be replaced, i run in 4 hi and have zero problems with it at all.

Btw I have all the parts to fix My joints and my linkage, just have no time until the end if the month unfortunately

Sent from within the beaver

1 - 19 of 19 Posts