JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's a good upgrade from the factory bumper on a JK UL? Someone backed into mine---and is paying to fix it. I may add some funds to upgrade it something more durable.

·
Super Moderator
6,181 Posts
did ya research this forum ? That's a highly subjective question that there is no correct answer to. It depends upon usage , weight constraints,winch or no , look, domestic or Chinese loyalty, aesthetics ,...I can keep going.

With you obviously seeking a parasitic , fast ,whambamthhankyoumam answer, VKS Fab is very popular around here for looks, quality and price plus made in America. You should search for bumpers - front & limit the search results to JKOwners.com in your google query. :jeep2:

·
Registered
233 Posts
Front AEV bumper

I recently installed an AEV front bumper. I really like the way that it complements the JK's styling - from having a step-up at the ends to minimize the splatter from the front tires (as with the stock part), to the formed depressions under the parking lamps.

It probably weighs 80 lbs., but the stock one which was removed was likely 30#. I since have bought the AEV winch mount plate. I have not installed it, yet, as I don't need to add the weight of that until I'm ready for a winch.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Consider Poison Spyder too. I'm with Jeff about research. Topic and it's supporting pictures are all over the place. Some bumpers require the crashbar bar to be removed (thank God) and others require relocating the canister up front. I cut the bar, kept the OEM canister location. I added a sway bar disconnect skid also. Things to ponder.

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
332 Posts
Go to various jeep part websites, (amazon, quadratec, etc etc) and just search through front bumpers. Figure out what style you like weather its a stubby, one that go to the fenders, what kind of bars attached to it that you like/need/want etc etc. THEN once you figure out the style you want, look what different brands that have similar styles. Make a list then research the hell out of them. The quality and pricing can have huge swings from really cheap to costly and well made. Also pricey doesn't mean quality although usually to a point, cheap cost DOES mean cheaply made.

Also figure out what you'll be doing with it. If you don't do much off roading maybe spending $1,500 on a front bumper isn't worth it.

For an example I've seen AEV bumpers on a mostly street driven JKU just as rusty as my cheap Chinese crap bumper. Not saying they're bad bumpers but still expected less rust considering the cost of them. (his ran well over $1,000 and mine was only 300-500.)

https://www.quadratec.com/categories/jeep_bumpers_towing_racks/front-bumpers

also if you ever plan to run a winch, get one where the winch mounts LOW! so it doesn't end up blocking much of the air flow.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts