JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
661 Posts
I think most of the people making there own bumpers arent using CAD. Its more of design as you go type project, at least thats how I do it. Where are you located? Might be able to find someone local that has built there own that could help you out.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think most of the people making there own bumpers arent using CAD. Its more of design as you go type project, at least thats how I do it. Where are you located? Might be able to find someone local that has built there own that could help you out.
Thank you for unswerving
There is only one little problem . I'm only few hours of flight from most of you. (8-10). I'm in the worst neighborhood right now. Egypt form south and Syria fron north and both of them on fire. ::pissed:
Yep ,we are in a middle of :shitstorm:
I'm from Israel.
This is the reason why I want to do it on my own. The price for USA made bumper is starting in 1500$ around here. There is few Israeli manufacturer but I don't like the shape of it.
Actually there is an Israeli Jeep made in here by licence from Jeep called "storm"
http://www.jeepolog.com/UserFiles/english_pages/jeep j8 road test.htm. But the front bumper is not my cup of tea.

Is anybody have an idea for me? How can I get drawing or even sketch of full length bumper?
Try to PM this friend with no answer: http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82074

Thank you all

· Premium Member
1,499 Posts
I used google sketch up for the drawings, cut cardboard for a full scale mockup, then used the cardboard sections as patterns for the cuts. The mockup also helped decide what to cut and weld versus what could be bent on my 20 ton shop press with my home made press brake die. Am currently in the process of actual fabrication.

· Registered
661 Posts
Are you wanting to make this yourself our are you looking for the dimensions so you can take it to a shop and have them build it?
If your doing it yourself then I would recommend finding some designs that are out there that you like and start from there. Draw out a few ideas and then get started with cardboard. One trick I learned is to use bobby pins (like you use for sewing) to hold your pieces of cardboard together while your designing. I wasn't trying to be a dick with my first response but there aren't to many DIY home shop guys that have the computer software our the machines to use CAD. The process I mentioned is the way I make all of my stuff. I take all the little things that Ive seen and combining them into one to make something of my very own.
Heres a link to my front bumper build, hope it can help in some way.
http://www.texasjk.com/showthread.php?3800-My-bumper-build
And as you can see, Cardboard Aided Drafting works great

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are you wanting to make this yourself our are you looking for the dimensions so you can take it to a shop and have them build it?
If your doing it yourself then I would recommend finding some designs that are out there that you like and start from there. Draw out a few ideas and then get started with cardboard. One trick I learned is to use bobby pins (like you use for sewing) to hold your pieces of cardboard together while your designing. I wasn't trying to be a dick with my first response but there aren't to many DIY home shop guys that have the computer software our the machines to use CAD. The process I mentioned is the way I make all of my stuff. I take all the little things that Ive seen and combining them into one to make something of my very own.
Heres a link to my front bumper build, hope it can help in some way.
http://www.texasjk.com/showthread.php?3800-My-bumper-build
And as you can see, Cardboard Aided Drafting works great
Hello Hot Damn
Thank you for unswerving and even in the middle of the night!
First I would like to wish your wife a long and healthy life. full of pleasure and happiness ( I'm hoping that its sound right in English - this is a translation of a very common blessing in Hebrew).
I read your unswerving and looked at your works. Looking great. I think I will go with your way and do it step by step . I will inform you when I'm done
Thank you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.