JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Long story short I replaced a ujoint with a moog cross joint that had life time warranty. I wanted spicer but nothing readily available so I decided on the moog thinking once that wears out I can get a better joint. Maybe that moog joint will prove to be great?

Well it wasn't great. It was the poorest 50$ I have ever spent. The cross joint cracked and fell out on the highway. The ears on on the shaft are now malformed and missing material. Just can't replace with a ujoint. So I need an axle shaft passenger side. Also the stub shaft is seized to the hub assembly.

My shopping list is

Hub assembly
Passenger shaft assembly

Or

Rcv shafts
Hub assembly

What hub would you recommend?
Would you recommend rcv's
Should I just get a new shaft assembly?

Thanks!

· Registered
392 Posts
It might take a BFH or a press but you should be able to salvage that hub. I went with 10 factories because they were in my price range but if I woulldve had unlimited cabbage Id of went with RCV's.

Rob

· Registered
392 Posts
Might want to check your ball joints also. Mine were shot and I think might have contributed to doing the same thing your axle did.

· Registered
11,420 Posts
Why not a Moog or SKF hub? As far as I've been able to determine, there are only 3 brands: Timken, SKF and Moog.
"Precision" makes one as well, not sure who's is better than who's, but mine has Timkens.

· Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Might want to check your ball joints also. Mine were shot and I think might have contributed to doing the same thing your axle did.
But have been replaced basically about 1 year old. There fine.

It might take a BFH or a press but you should be able to salvage that hub. I went with 10 factories because they were in my price range but if I woulldve had unlimited cabbage Id of went with RCV's.

Rob
20 ton press and did not budge.

Is this a d30 or 44? Go with a timken hub. Don't buy the cheap crap.
D44

Yeah that's why I asked.
I don't know what omix-Ada is but it is not the cheapest.
Thanks for the trim ken advice.
Would you get factory?

· Registered
70 Posts
Go with RCVs and don't look back...IMO

· Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I bought the RCV's tonight from PolyPerformance. Question is will I be disappointed. I am reading alot about clicking joints. and yet some are very happy. why? is it the difference in servicing the CV joints with grease?

· Registered
621 Posts
Well I bought the RCV's tonight from PolyPerformance. Question is will I be disappointed. I am reading alot about clicking joints. and yet some are very happy. why? is it the difference in servicing the CV joints with grease?
Yes they need to be greased. I think its been recommended to do them when you do an oil change, simple preventative maintenance.
I have a factory unit bearing if you need one, should fit in a flat rate box. Its yours if you want to cover shipping.

· Registered
1,431 Posts
Yes they need to be greased. I think its been recommended to do them when you do an oil change, simple preventative maintenance.
I have a factory unit bearing if you need one, should fit in a flat rate box. Its yours if you want to cover shipping.
damn thats pretty cool. Considering a new one is 100+

· Registered
37 Posts
RCV's are awesome...I did them the same time as my EVO sleeves and gussets for my front44. I usually pull the front tires off and grease the snot out of them every 4 or 5 months and have no complaints or issues. If you wheel excessively I would plan to grease more often (during the spring & summer months I try to get them at least once a month)

· Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nice for you to offer. I don't know how much to ship but I have a new timken coming for $130 shipped. I am sure I would save about $100 but its already shipped.

Thanks. That was really kind. Why do u have an extra?

damn thats pretty cool. Considering a new one is 100+
Got that right.

RCV's are awesome...I did them the same time as my EVO sleeves and gussets for my front44. I usually pull the front tires off and grease the snot out of them every 4 or 5 months and have no complaints or issues. If you wheel excessively I would plan to grease more often (during the spring & summer months I try to get them at least once a month)
Good to hear. Thanks for sharing your experience.

· RIP Brad
2,898 Posts
RCVs.

Just received another set for my d60.... I had clicking and broken the RCVs twice on the d44 and still went back to order again. Their warranty and customer service is top notch. Buttery smoothness at full lock is a great bonus.

· Registered
621 Posts
Nice for you to offer. I don't know how much to ship but I have a new timken coming for $130 shipped. I am sure I would save about $100 but its already shipped.

Thanks. That was really kind. Why do u have an extra?

Got that right.

Good to hear. Thanks for sharing your experience.
I had to replace a knuckle and the one I bought had the unit bearing still on it.
Iv'e found the 4x4 community, especially the Jeep community, to be extreme helpful and more then willing to help out each other. So I always try and help out, pay it forward so to speak. My Jeep is currently down and will be until I finish my one ton swap so Ill never need those unit bearings again.

· Registered
931 Posts
I had to replace a knuckle and the one I bought had the unit bearing still on it.
Iv'e found the 4x4 community, especially the Jeep community, to be extreme helpful and more then willing to help out each other. So I always try and help out, pay it forward so to speak. My Jeep is currently down and will be until I finish my one ton swap so Ill never need those unit bearings again.
DEFINATELY.

I think that's the biggest allure of the Jeep lifestyle for us... the fact that Jeople are sooooo willing to help. Every used part we have bought (engine included) from Texas, and now Oklahoma, has involved help with install and making new friends.

Road trip-parts runs, meeting new people, and learning hands-on with install help are perks we never imagined when we started this "Jeep thing.":)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.