JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a decent deal on a 2018 2-door Sahara JK. I had a Toyota 4Runner for 10 years but very rarely needed a back seat and its V8 was overkill for the occasions where I hauled my dirt bike using a hitch carrier. I'm loving the Jeep and already took the back seat out for a bit more space when my wife and I take our Retriever hiking. I need to put a cargo liner in and will probably spring for the more expensive Weathertech with the roll out bumper guard unless anyone knows of a better setup.

But my real reason for posting is, what do I do with the removable Freedom Top panels when the back seat is out? The Jeep didn't come with the carrier bag, so I'm looking at the OEM one or the Rugged Ridge one; are they basically the same? I found a good deal on an OEM one for $50 and the RR one for $35, so quite a bit less than retail. With the back seat out, I assume I can't stand them vertically and strap them to the front headrests because of the open rear foot wells, right? I could lay them flat in the back but I've read where others have said they will slide around and get chipped up.

Has anyone seen some type of plastic insert that can go in the foot wells to make that area flush with the rear cargo area? Can I get the tops to stand vertically with the back seat out, or am I stuck laying them flat and anchoring them somehow to the cargo hooks to keep them from sliding?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I recently got a decent deal on a 2018 2-door Sahara JK. I had a Toyota 4Runner for 10 years but very rarely needed a back seat and its V8 was overkill for the occasions where I hauled my dirt bike using a hitch carrier. I'm loving the Jeep and already took the back seat out for a bit more space when my wife and I take our Retriever hiking. I need to put a cargo liner in and will probably spring for the more expensive Weathertech with the roll out bumper guard unless anyone knows of a better setup.

But my real reason for posting is, what do I do with the removable Freedom Top panels when the back seat is out? The Jeep didn't come with the carrier bag, so I'm looking at the OEM one or the Rugged Ridge one; are they basically the same? I found a good deal on an OEM one for $50 and the RR one for $35, so quite a bit less than retail. With the back seat out, I assume I can't stand them vertically and strap them to the front headrests because of the open rear foot wells, right? I could lay them flat in the back but I've read where others have said they will slide around and get chipped up.

Has anyone seen some type of plastic insert that can go in the foot wells to make that area flush with the rear cargo area? Can I get the tops to stand vertically with the back seat out, or am I stuck laying them flat and anchoring them somehow to the cargo hooks to keep them from sliding?

I put mine in the closet when I got the Webasto Throwback top. Never looked back either! Bestop has one as well. Can’t tell ya much about that one tho. I’m sure the Bestop version is pretty good as well. I’ve had zero issues with my Throwback. Been thru 2 hurricanes, numerous storms and over 20k miles. Little pricy but not worrying about freedom panel headache and open air anytime..so worth every penny!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts