JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I decided to make my own exhaust instead of going with a kit so I ordered a Flowmaster 50 series. The plan was to relocate the muffler under the jeep by just cutting a piece out of the pipe like the cooltech kit.
Things didn't quite work out that way.
I ordered a center in center out and realized there isn't room for that, the pipe is too close to the frame. So a patient person would have just ordered the right part, but I have no patience.
I ended up putting it in the stock spot, but since a flowmaster is so much thinner it tucks up nice and high and is safe.
But I needed parts to get the plumbing to line up and to hang it in place.
I looked at the stock muffler and realized everything I needed was right there!
I cut the piping and the hangers off, welded the piping together to get the angle and the 90 degree bend to meet the muffler. Once I got the plumbing setup, I took a piece of 1" square steel tubing, welded the hangers to it, then welded the muffler to the tubing to hang it where it needs to be.
Only thing left to get is a 90 and a tip - it exits out the side right now and I want to turn it back out the back where it needs to go.
End result is a deep, pleasant sound with no drone and a bit louder than stock.
I R happy :grinpimp:
I ran out of daylight but I'll grab some pics later

·
Registered
962 Posts
Nice going. I plan on going the 50 series route also, I believe they offer a side in/out version that will *just* fit underneath next to the frame rail. I'll also have to do the evap relocate at the same time, so I need to align the planets to get this done.....

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
pics showing tuckage
it's pretty pretty much even with the bottom of the hitch
I just looked and FM makes a thinner unit that would gain you another 1/2"

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
That 50 sounds pretty nice, I've got the 44 on and it's a beautiful growl. Nice things about these is they are so much thinner that the stock location isn't as bad as with the full size muffler.

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
minor update:
I put a 90 on the muffler to turn it out the back.
If you do a custom exhaust job, be careful trying to tuck your tailpipe up to far.
I got mine where the output is a little too close to the wonderful plastic bumper and it's melted the underside a little bit.
Nothing drastic, you can't even see it from the back but the underside of the bumper right in front of the tip is a little melty.

Just another excuse to get a 'real' rear bumper :thefinger:

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
it definitely depends on where you get the pipe from. the ones at Autzone had a tighter bend and were shorter overall, but the ones at Advance had both a larger bend and were longer overall. Mine ends just a tad behind the bumper, pointing down slightly. No deformity yet, but I'm not worried either. There's a new bumper on the horizon. :D

·
Registered
397 Posts
I did the Flowmaster Delta 50 in the stock location, too. I was considering relocating the muffler to under the drivers seat, but I did not want to possibly have extra noise in the cabin. I am very happy with the results. It really does tuck up and out of the way nicely and the performance has improved. CAI is next.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I did the Flowmaster Delta 50 in the stock location, too. I was considering relocating the muffler to under the drivers seat, but I did not want to possibly have extra noise in the cabin. I am very happy with the results. It really does tuck up and out of the way nicely and the performance has improved. CAI is next.
I put mine under the seat, there is no noise or resonance to speak of. Glad i put it there, gave me an excuse to move the evap can.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts