JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How often y'all reckon a Fox SS needs rebuilt?
I put mine on a couple of years ago - probably 30-40K miles and I just had it loose to check my trackbar bolts and it didnt push out like it used to.
also I could push and pull it without a tremendous amount of effort.

maybe just low on nitrogen?

what am I getting into if I do need a rebuild?
what parts/fluids etc am I gonna need?
nitrogen refill is probably gonna be the hardest part out here in small town Texas I'm guessing

just found this...
http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/Fox-2.0-Steering-Stabilizer-Shock-Rebuild-Kit-p-20286.html

·
Registered
166 Posts
the rebuild is pretty straight forward, take it apart clean everything and reinstall. Dont take apart the shims and when refilling with oil overfill a tad so that when you reinstall the rod and main seal it forces some oil out insuring no air left in the shock.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Im wondering the same thing. Also, how much nitrogen are you guys running in yours? I got mine used and the previous owner emptied it.

Vick

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
How often y'all reckon a Fox SS needs rebuilt?
I put mine on a couple of years ago - probably 30-40K miles and I just had it loose to check my trackbar bolts and it didnt push out like it used to.
also I could push and pull it without a tremendous amount of effort.

maybe just low on nitrogen?

what am I getting into if I do need a rebuild?
what parts/fluids etc am I gonna need?
nitrogen refill is probably gonna be the hardest part out here in small town Texas I'm guessing

just found this...
http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/Fox-2.0-Steering-Stabilizer-Shock-Rebuild-Kit-p-20286.html
Gonna need:
Rebuild kit (Fox)
Shock Oil (Fox)
Nitrogen refill (kits are out there for $200. Get it filled at your local welding store)
Patience

When you take it apart line up every part on a table as you disassemble them. Then just reassemble them in reverse.
We did the shocks several times but never a SS. You can check around or call Fox to get the right pressure for them.

Once you do it once it is a breeze after that.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
My friend mat keeps a nitrogen tank in his jeep for airing up tires. We put 50 psi of nitrogen in my fox. When I first got it you couldn't even compress the shock it was so full.

Sent from a Android on Tapatalk..

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
You going to be at K2 this weekend? If so, I'll bring my nitrogen bottle with me. It may need rebuilding, but it just may need some gas.

50-60 psi seems to be the right amount for the stabilizer.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the offer Phil, we usually goto Katemcy for my birthday but this year we're gonna have to miss it. :pissed:

just curious, what would the implications be of using air instead of nitrogen?
Just moisture content and eventual corrosion of the piston?

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
For a shock I'd say use nitrogen, for a stabilizer, maybe air or CO2 would be okay. A lot of people will tell you that you can't, but I know people who have done it with no issues.

IIRC the main reasons to use nitrogen are that it is more stable when heated and prevents foaming when the shock gets hot, the atoms are bigger and leak less, and there is no moisture in nitrogen so no corrosion. Heat does not seem to be an issue with a stabilizer, if you are filling it with air or CO2 it doesn't really matter of it leaks a bit, corrosion may be an issue long term, but not much of one I bet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts