JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My gf's dad gave me a brand new tranny cooler for a Ford Superduty pickup lastnight. I think its for one with a 7.3 powerstroke, and not the 6.0 which I think was even bigger. Anyways, I think I can rig something up that I can mount it, and it has 3/8" barbed fittings made into it, so I'm ok there as well, I'm just wondering if you guys think this will be big enough for putting along on trails with little air moving across it? I hate to try and make it fit and then find out its not big enough to do the job and screw the thing up for him when he could have used it on something else.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
I'm just wondering if you guys think this will be big enough for putting along on trails with little air moving across it?
That depends on what size it is? I don't happen to know to know the size of a Powerstroke 7.3L tranny cooler off hand, but I'd guess it will be more than big enough.

Do remember that you don't want to get your fluid too cold, especially in Winter, as it is more viscous and works better when warmed up. Which is why a lot of people favor coolers that have a built in bypass for when it is cold.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I figure its worth a shot, especially when its free. I'd say its pretty close in size to the B&M 70268 cooler. Its definately 11-12" long, and 3/4" wide, not sure about up and down though without measuring it. The B&M is 11x7 1/2x 3/4, right? As far as winter time, I can always block just the cooler off with some cardboard if need be, and take the cardboard out if I'm gonna tow or wheel. I'll have to take some measurements of it today if I can find a tapemeasure.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
It may even have a bypass built in to it.

If you plumb it before the main radiator, then the main rad will actually warm up the fluid during the colder months, and you shouldn't need to block it off. Synthetic fluid (Mopar ATF+4 is full synthetic) will also help with colder climates.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know it doesn't have a valve in it cause back when I was into diesel pickups, I remember that the ford tranny's, atleast the ones behind the powerstrokes had the valve in the tranny itself.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
heres a pic of it with a magazine next to it for scale. I couldnt' find my tapemeasure.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, guys, I got it mounted. It does work. My around town temps are down about 20-30*, same for on the highway. havn't had it offroad yet to see how hot it gets there. I gotta say though, while it was free, I think I still would have paid the $50 or $60 for the B&M kit just for the ease of installation. My cooler was to big to mount sideways like I wanted, so I mounted it with the hoses coming out the bottom, had to fab up my own mount for the bottom of it, and I had a heck of a time finding 1/2 fuel line for the cooler lines as the fittings made into the cooler are 1/2" not 3/8" like he told me. Wasn't hard finding fittings to adapt down to 3/8 for the other ends. I'll get some pics if anyone wants. I tryed with my camera the night I put it in, but my camera is junk, all my pics come out blurry.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts