JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Swapped a set of Ford shock mounts / towers into the 13 JK. Between raising the upper mount and switching from a stem to an eyelet it raised the upper mount about 3"+-. With only a 2" bump stop, there is room for about a 19 1/2" collapsed length shock.

with a little trimming of the middle on the bottom, they fit really well. Along with moving the mount up and swapping to an eyelet, they also move the upper mount out slightly to get the shock away from the frame.

Factory shock mount

·
Registered
249 Posts
Awesome. What kind of shocks are you running? And about 12 or 13" of travel?

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right now, Pro Comp ES9000 with a collapsed length of 19.42", an extended length of 34", and a 14.58" stroke.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Whats the cost? I mean you can buy shock towers from several fabrication companies for $50.
You can get them for around $15-$20 each depending on where you get them from. They are a factory Ford part, so they can also be sourced from junk yards or from junk trucks. They are cheap, simple and work well with the available space.

Part number is E5TZ-18183-A

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
$30-$40 for a pair is alot cheaper than anything I've found from fabrication companies. Most of the similar mounts from them get into more of a coilover mount that costs considerably more and are not made to fit beside the coil bucket or tube style shock hoops that again takes up considerably more space and still cost more.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice travel right there! You using all of it? How much chrome at full bump?
Just got them put in yesterday so can't really say for sure.

I hope to use as much of the travel as possible in the Metalcloak 3.5" coils (have 2.5" now and the 3.5" waiting to be installed). They have a solid height of 8" and a free length of 22" with 14" of travel. After I get the suspension done and decide on which Bias tire and size I'm going to run I will see what I have and adjust from there.

At full bump, it's going to be close. I didn't quite get metal on metal last night but at about 1" away, there was just a little over 1" (1"-1.25")of chrome showing. It's close but will be fine. At ride height with the 2.5" coils I have about 3 3/4" of compression and with the 3.5" coils I should be right about 5" of compression.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Just got them put in yesterday so can't really say for sure.

I hope to use as much of the travel as possible in the Metalcloak 3.5" coils (have 2.5" now and the 3.5" waiting to be installed). They have a solid height of 8" and a free length of 22" with 14" of travel. After I get the suspension done and decide on which Bias tire and size I'm going to run I will see what I have and adjust from there.

At full bump, it's going to be close. I didn't quite get metal on metal last night but at about 1" away, there was just a little over 1" (1"-1.25")of chrome showing. It's close but will be fine. At ride height with the 2.5" coils I have about 3 3/4" of compression and with the 3.5" coils I should be right about 5" of compression.
I may have to steal your idea with those shock towers. That’s going to be some nice droop without having to run struts or coil overs. Good job

·
Registered
288 Posts
Always great to see old become new again. We've used those mounts on CJ's for years as there is plenty of material there to adjust height significantly and the perfectly flat back makes for a clean weld or bolt-in application. There are a couple of local Ford houses that actually keep those in stock due to the popularity on other platforms.

Nice work here!

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I may have to steal your idea with those shock towers. That’s going to be some nice droop without having to run struts or coil overs. Good job
Steal it and improve on it. Thats why I shared it, I wanted others to see how using Ford shock towers / mounts on a Jeep JK / JKU would works out. Relocating shock mounts and using the Ford shock mounts was/is pretty common on other Wrangler models but not very common with the JK. It's something that can benefit a wide range of builds and lift heights. Making room for a longer stroke shock without limiting/reducing suspension travel by extending bump stops is a good thing. It allows you to gain travel without trading sprung travel for unsprung travel which is often done.

It's really a pretty easy swap if you can weld. Without a 1"-1.25" body lift, you can gain around 2" and with a 1.25" BL you can get around 3". The mount is moved outward about 1" or so (will have to get a good measurement to say more accurately) and even that can be altered by trimming the bottom at a different angle.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Always great to see old become new again. We've used those mounts on CJ's for years as there is plenty of material there to adjust height significantly and the perfectly flat back makes for a clean weld or bolt-in application. There are a couple of local Ford houses that actually keep those in stock due to the popularity on other platforms.

Nice work here!
Exactly. I've used these on a TJ on the front and also to outboard the rear of the TJ. It was common on CJ, YJ, TJ and even Suzuk Samurai ( actually ordered these from Low Range) builds and forums but very little if any mention of them and I have not found any use of them in the JK /JKU builds/forums.

You are right though, It's an old idea that could become new again. I am by far not the creator of this idea, I just used them on a platform that you don't normally see them used on.

·
Registered
486 Posts
You running a 1310 or 1350 driveshaft? My 1310 binds a bit at full droop with 11” travel shocks. I’m sure a 1350 may have more misalignment

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
1310 front shaft and the rear is stock that is up for replacement when I redo the rear suspension. There's a few things I'll have to keep an eye on and fine tune. It's not a throw'em on and forget about it fit.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You running a 1310 or 1350 driveshaft? My 1310 binds a bit at full droop with 11” travel shocks. I’m sure a 1350 may have more misalignment
What's the extended length of you 11" shocks? Is the lower/axle mount stock or has it been rotated and moved up for frame clearance?

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

After making some adjustments to the brake lines, YesI am able to use all of the travel in the shock. It takes some work to get the last 1" (after the jounce bumper makes contact) compressed but it does it.

Still haven't had time to get the rear upper mounts in and a longer rear shock installed. Hoping to get them done this spring/summer.

·
Registered
486 Posts
What's the extended length of you 11" shocks? Is the lower/axle mount stock or has it been rotated and moved up for frame clearance?
Yes slightly under 11”. The lower mount is in its stock position but that may change soon now that I just got this shiny new welder. it’s a little over 27” extended length.

·
Super Moderator
6,276 Posts

@-SLADE-

First, this is awesome.
I would so love to see more of this ( I think we will) type
of ingenuity for the jk. Really cool.

second , from all the questions , it sure might be cool
to snag a few more images of the setup , maybe from the
lower mount looking frwd & from about 6' ?

Only if you can .

Thanks again for sharing the wealth , man .
's'why JKO :wink_animate:

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
@-SLADE-

First, this is awesome.
I would so love to see more of this ( I think we will) type
of ingenuity for the jk. Really cool.

second , from all the questions , it sure might be cool
to snag a few more images of the setup , maybe from the
lower mount looking frwd & from about 6' ?

Only if you can .

Thanks again for sharing the wealth , man .
's'why JKO :wink_animate:

I'm going to pull the Boggers off and put the 37" STT Pros back on this weekend (still a little early to run Boggers on a DD), Ill be able to get a few more pictures then.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts