JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to override the low beam only thing with my fogs. Have thought of replacing them with driving lights and using the factory fogs in the back bumper if I can use the wiring already handy it would be nice.

Anyone know what to do?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'd like to override the low beam only thing with my fogs. Have thought of replacing them with driving lights and using the factory fogs in the back bumper if I can use the wiring already handy it would be nice.

Anyone know what to do?
I'm curious about this myself. I'm doing the same thing in moving the factory fogs into the rear bumper.
I think the easiest way to do this will be to tap into the harness before the fog light relay on the wire that comes out of the column. This way if you turn the fogs on they are no regardless of your high or low beam setting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think the easiest way to do this will be to tap into the harness before the fog light relay on the wire that comes out of the column.
There is no wire from the fog light switch to the fog light relay. The multifunction switch uses the LIN bus to communicate with the instrument cluster which uses the CAN bus to communicate with the TIPM and turn on the fog lights.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Less trouble just to rewire front and rear and use independent switches. I wired mine direct off the battery so as not to have these issues. The factory power system is very sensitive and any excessive draw may cause partial shutdown.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Less trouble just to rewire front and rear and use independent switches. I wired mine direct off the battery so as not to have these issues. The factory power system is very sensitive and any excessive draw may cause partial shutdown.
that is about what I have decided. that or deal with only running my fog lights with low beams

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I left the OEM fogs in the front and used some cheapie driving lights in my rear bumper.
I'm sure the lights on on low only could be reprogramed but I don't know if it would be easy. I wondered if it could be done with another relay tied into the headlight high beam but I've heard to many people complain of issues. :(

·
Registered
803 Posts
that is about what I have decided. that or deal with only running my fog lights with low beams
Well if Fog lights are used for the purpose they are intended for then they don't have to work with high beams since the blinding reflection created by the high beams would negate the small vision advantage gained by the fog lights

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well if Fog lights are used for the purpose they are intended for then they don't have to work with high beams since the blinding reflection created by the high beams would negate the small vision advantage gained by the fog lights
True. But since the stock lighting is so fantastic, I'd like to be able to have the fogs on to help illuminate at least a little bit better than those fantastic stock High beams.

If I could I'd replace the stock lights with high output highbeams, and replace the fogs with driving beams. I've driven enough in thick fog that having tried many different lights in many different rigs I can tell you the only ones that seemed to actually work were the Hella fogs. But even with them I would say they really are not worth the bother.
I'd much rather light up the dark wet roads at higher speeds farther out. Moose are not easy to see and in the fog you should be driving slower anyway.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
The new Superchip Flashpaq was able to do this on my 2013. Just select it from the menu, and bam... fogs whenever you want.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Get better headlights, in a lot of states fogs on with high beams is illegal (in Pennsylvania it's illegal), that's why they came from the factory only working with the low beams.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I've got HID's. The light pattern with HIDs on high and the Rigid Fogs on is awesome

1 - 14 of 14 Posts