JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Flowmaster 50 installed, now with pics AND SOUND

Had my Flowmaster 50 installed yesterday, and I'm very happy with it. I have a 2 door, so it took a little more effort than on a 4 door.

First order was relocating the evap can with a kit I found for sale on the other forum. Great price, installed it with no problems. The kit puts it above the axle a bit to the passenger side.
I was going to do the relocate regardless of the muffler replacement.

Bought the muffler from Amazon, p/n 942551, offset in, center out per the recommendation of my muffler shop (Midas). 89.32, shipped to my door in 2 days. Went around the corner to Midas, there's a Jeep guy out there that likes mine so I knew he'd do a good job. He was done in an hour, and it looks factory. Muffler tucked right up next to the frame rail, plenty of clearance for flex with the tailpipe, I'm very happy with the work he did. That cost 140.38, so I've got 229.70 in it not counting the 58.95 for the evap relocate kit.

The 50 has a nice deep V6 growl at idle. Off idle, it's well mannered, not loud at all, and no ricer buzz. Full throttle at 5500 rpm has a very nice tone, but still not loud or ricey. Crusing on the highway, there is no resonance in the cabin, and I can barely hear the exhaust tone, even though its mounted almost right under the seat. Cracking the window totally masks it.

There seems to be a bit more power throughout the band, with a more noticeable increase in the mid to upper range.

The floor gets toasty warm, so I took the stock heat shield and using the factory holes and bolts from the evap can, positioned the shield directly above the muffler between the crossmembers. I had to trim the shield a bit, but it came out looking factory.

All in all I'm happy with it, I'll post up some pics as soon as I can.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just ordered my 50 series, thanks for sharing. Look forward to the pics.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here are the pics

Glad you replied, I forgot all about posting the pics:emb: I think I'll take it back and have him cut the turn down off so I won't mash it flat. The pics make it look lower than it really is, but a little trim won't hurt. The lights are also going to be relocated in the bumper very soon.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Nice looking job. I take mine in tomorrow for the same work. I have a 4-door, so we'll try the install with out moving the evap can. If that doesn't work, we'll figure something out.

Thanks again for sharing.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Got mine back yesterday and the install went similar to yours. I like the sounds and look forward to getting rid of that stock box up front.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got mine back yesterday and the install went similar to yours. I like the sounds and look forward to getting rid of that stock box up front.
That's great, glad it turned out OK for you. By the stock box up front I'm assuming you mean the airbox. I fabbed my own and used a K&N cone filter, but went back to the stock box with a drop in K&N.

Although I have no data, I couldn't tell the difference between the two in either power or mileage. The cone setup is louder, you can hear the air and the whistle quite plainly. I went back with the stock box because of the protection it gave. It's really a decent design.

·
Registered
54 Posts
That's great, glad it turned out OK for you. By the stock box up front I'm assuming you mean the airbox. I fabbed my own and used a K&N cone filter, but went back to the stock box with a drop in K&N.

Although I have no data, I couldn't tell the difference between the two in either power or mileage. The cone setup is louder, you can hear the air and the whistle quite plainly. I went back with the stock box because of the protection it gave. It's really a decent design.
You know the thing I didn't like about the stock box is look at that tiny hole your trying to gobble air through. I mean that puts the "R" in restriction. It would be good for deep water forging, but I firmly believe that is a bottle neck. After I installed my Airraid, I felt the punch right away. My butt dyno never lies. :D

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Me too

...I thought about a cold air intake, but a few who I have talked too said to leave the stock box and just get a decent aftermarket filter...I chose the $50.00 K&N filter...cheaper than $300.00 for a cold air intake + install...I used the savings to splurge on a Magna Flow muffler. which was a drop in replacement, but still cost me $170.00 for install by local "off road shop"...they get real pissy when you bring in your own parts, so they make up that sales loss with inflated install costs...

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
...I thought about a cold air intake, but a few who I have talked too said to leave the stock box and just get a decent aftermarket filter...I chose the $50.00 K&N filter...cheaper than $300.00 for a cold air intake + install...I used the savings to splurge on a Magna Flow muffler. which was a drop in replacement, but still cost me $170.00 for install by local "off road shop"...they get real pissy when you bring in your own parts, so they make up that sales loss with inflated install costs...
That sucks, my shop encouraged me to bring my own muffler, saying they knew I could get a better price than they could offer me. This was a Midas shop.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I LOVE the sound of Flow's I had one on my last car which was 2.7 liter v6 and it sounded so muscley LOL I am interested in an audio clip if you anyone could get one to hear what the flow sounds like on the 3.8.

Also a side note I ordered a drop in K&N air filter from amazon yesterday...$42 with free shipping.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Flowmaster 50 vid

OK, here's how it sounds.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Sweet thanks! Doesn't sound ridiculous at all like some vehicles do when you put a high flow muffler on.

I think I already know the answer to this but do the JK's (4 door specifically) have resonators/pre muffler? With the car I mentioned previously a good starting point for opening the exhaust was to simply cut out a resonator it had in the piping about mid body on the car. Replacing this with straight pipe even with a stock muffler added a little growl, some where replacing it with a cherry bomb or something similiar and running with no muffler. I do want open up the the exhaust on the Jeep but not so much that it annoys the wife...I've already got the eye-roll from her when mentioning it. :pissed:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts