JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, a few of us from Tucson are going to be spending the weekend up in Florence camping and wheeling. We will be there from Saturday 29th through Monday 31st.

On Saturday we are planning on meeting up in Catalina at the Valero on the corner of Oracle and Golder Ranch Road at 8:00am and leaving for Florence at 8:30am. We intend to do Elvis on Saturday only then find a camping spot for the night somewhere on Cottonwood Canyon Road.

On Sunday morning we are planning on doing Upper Woodpecker and Upper Ajax. We will most likely be meeting at Hwy 79 and Cottonwood Canyon Road in the big parking area around 9:30am and departing at 10:00am.

Monday morning we are planning on doing Hackberry Creek. We are planning on camping in Oak Flat campground if it's open and available and will be meeting at 8:00am in the big pullout to the left side of the road just as you pull off Hwy 60 onto Magma Mine Rd. We will be departing at 8:30am to do the trail.

All of these times and plans are open for suggestions but I thought we should have something to start working with since it's only a few days away. We have a few people coming and camping the entire trip and we have people coming to do day runs each day. We would like to see a few more campers if possible and of course some more day runners also. This will be a great time and hopefully we can get some of you folks from the center of the universe to bless us with your presence since we never seem to be able to hook up. Looking forward to seeing you there and please pipe in with suggestions if you have them.

Cheers,
Murray

·
Registered
357 Posts
I am going to try to make it out Sunday. I would love to camp but I dont have a tent or any other camping gear at the moment. All my cash is going into the jeep at the moment.

I might be up for saturday instead of more people are going then.

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,098 Posts
I'm out :thefinger:

Just kidding tomorrow i will check the map and might change Sunday's meet place farther east on cottonwood canyon. Doesn't make much sense for those camping to drive all the way to the parking lot when they can meet us on the road. That is if i can find the start of upper woodpecker again.

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm out :thefinger:

Just kidding tomorrow i will check the map and might change Sunday's meet place farther east on cottonwood canyon. Doesn't make much sense for those camping to drive all the way to the parking lot when they can meet us on the road. That is if i can find the start of upper woodpecker again.
That's fine by me. And you are correct in that finding the start of Woodpecker can be a bitch. Of course as Lilith has told me, finding anything to do with a pecker is difficult for you anymore.:thefinger:

I would suggest that maybe since Cottonwood Canyon Road is pretty easy to find and stay on, that anyone coming in on Saturday could meet us at the intersection of Cottonwood Canyon Road and Mineral Mountain Road since that is where we will be heading south to hook up to Woodpecker trail. Question is what time do we want to say we are going to meet there. Looks like the general coordinates are; 33 12.09.90 111 13 28.58 if I'm looking at it correctly.

·
22,098 Posts
Here are the coordinates of the junction of mineral mountain and cottonwood canyon roads: 33.202813,-111.224674.

Here is a pic of the map. Keep on Cottonwood Canyon road and stay to the left and you will run right into us waiting for you all. To get to Cottonwood Canyon road go 9 miles past the Gila river and look for the parking lot with a flag pole on the right side of the road. After you turn off Hwy 79 it is 8 miles to the meeting point. WE WILL BE ON CHANNEL 8 ON THE CB.. Any questions?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
looks good. Guess my coordinates must have been in Bangladesh somewhere.

·
Registered
357 Posts
OK, looks like I wasnt the only one that ended up looking at the other side of the world. LMAO

·
22,098 Posts
Those were Randy's coordinates. Sshhh

·
Registered
941 Posts
Here are the coordinates of the junction of mineral mountain and cottonwood canyon roads: 33.202813,-111.224674.

Here is a pic of the map. Keep on Cottonwood Canyon road and stay to the left and you will run right into us waiting for you all. To get to Cottonwood Canyon road go 9 miles past the Gila river and look for the parking lot with a flag pole on the right side of the road. After you turn off Hwy 79 it is 8 miles to the meeting point. WE WILL BE ON CHANNEL 8 ON THE CB.. Any questions?
I'll see you guys in the morning for the day trip.

What channed on the CB? (lol)

:shitstorm:

·
Registered
357 Posts

So is this sundays meeting spot? What time? My friend and I will be driving up sunday morning for the day trip. Dont have a CB so... Is anyone else heading out sunday, want to caravan on up as I have never been here before.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I'm out on this trip. I would like to go but I am going to hold off on wheeling until I get some new tires.

Hopefully in the next 2 weeks

·
Registered
282 Posts
Change in plans...i wont be able to make it saturday, so imthinking of doing sunday and monday instead. What time is the meeting on sunday?

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I just have to get gas and water and I'm as ready as I'm gonna be. My wonderful ex did her best to talk the kids out of going yet again so I'll be flying solo this time too. Just found out about 30 mins ago so I'll have to figure out what I can dump from the jeep for now. Plus I'm feeling like I might be getting some sort of funk so I'll keep my fingers crossed that it doesn't turn out to be something icky.

Looking forward to wheeling with everyone and hopefully anyone coming out after tomorrow can find the right spots. I'll be out for a while here but will check back in a little bit to see if we are all good with the designated meeting places.

Everyone put some energy out for the ex to catch herpes or maybe get hemorrhoids, you know, something nice that will stick with her for awhile. Hell maybe you all can concentrate on her catching herpes ON her hemorrhoids. That would be cool:bounce:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts